Controlled Hunts 2009

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know what your talking about. I know two guys that drew the elk hunt that didn't go. One said he had to paint the house? When my buddy drew the elk hunt, there were three no-shows on his hunt. I volunteered to be a replacment, but they wouldn't go for it:nolike::(

ruckerduck

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I drew an elk hunt at Pushmataha about 5 years ago. I was sick as a dog. Cold sweats, headache, etc.. You can bet your a$$ I went. Got a huge 9x6. It was worth it.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got skunked again this year on the draws but my son got in on a youth hunt at Washita.

Any tips on the hunting out there would be appreciated.

Washita National Wildlife Refuge? Make sure your son can shoot great out to 150 yards, show up and follow the rules. The folks out there put on a pretty good deer hunt, blinds are set up and its more or less about like an easter egg hunt on a turf football field. Take your pick, take aim and gut your deer.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Drew hunt #359, Salt Plains NWR, the week-end after Thanksgiving ... two deer, antlerless or spike only. We've drawn that same hunt before. They like to see you thin out those does! Not complaining, but I would trade all the deer hunts to finally draw an elk tag. I've been applying for elk as long as I can remember!

Good luck to everyone, and BE SAFE!

rlt7272

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep, Washita NWR. I have heard similar stories about how it is a good hunt for kids. However one guy said the point and shoot easiness has spoiled his kids, they think all hunting should be that easy.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, Washita NWR. I have heard similar stories about how it is a good hunt for kids. However one guy said the point and shoot easiness has spoiled his kids, they think all hunting should be that easy.

I think that guy is probably right. The waiting and the anticipation make it much better when success finally comes. Too easy and they lose interest.

Latest posts

Top Bottom