Cooking Catfish with no grease?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cobra1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Baked
Smoked
Grilled

However, I don't have any specific recipes to do any of the above simply because I personally can't stand the taste of catfish.

This is the preppers corner. your starving to death and your not gonna eat catfish cause you don't like the way it tastes? Rice Pilaf and a glass of Red Wine? I hate catfish it tastes like mud. My question remains.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didn't catch that this was in the Prepper's Corner, since I use the "New Posts" function, so I was a little less specific with my answer thinking that this was a general question for somebody on a diet who wants to prepare catfish in any other way but fried, my apologies.

In a survival situation, you're right, I'd eat catfish all day long and ask for seconds, though I'd probably put more effort into catching bluegill. It's plentiful and can be caught with the sun reflecting off a hook or a single kernel of corn if they're being stubborn.

To answer your question, though, if I were living off the land without proper shelter, I'd either roast them over an open flame or bake them in the ground like a Hawaiian pig roast. Knowing what wild edibles are available would help incorporate some much needed flavor into the meat, though like you said, it's survival and there's no room to be picky. If the season is cold and you have a water supply, a fish stew with spices and pine sprigs for extra flavor and nutrition would probably hit the spot.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man, I dunno ... I'd have to be awful hungry to eat catfish ... bleech ... I wish I could tell you guys I'm tough as nails and can take anything you can dish out but the truth of the matter is I have a very, very, VERY sensitive gag reflex and anything that tastes "off" just sits in my mouth ... I can't swallow it, I can't chew it, I can't spit it out ... I'm completely paralyzed. It's not good ... LOL ... GC thinks it's a HOOT! I suspect I might really die of starvation before I'd eat something my "delicate sensitivities" considers unpalatable ... :bigeye::drooling::puke:

Oh ... you could steam it ... water, pots, pans, spices ... You have everything you need to steam it ...

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
First off - what kind of catfish? If it's a bottom dwelling channel cat from a farm pond eating cow manure regularly, it's probably not gonna taste good. Get you some nice blue cat or flathead, and CUT OUT THE RED MEAT, soak in cold water for a few hours, and it won't taste anything but good. (the red meat rule applies to large sand bass and stripers as well) Current swimming fish have a red stripe of meat that runs head to tail down center of fish. This red meat has many more blood vessels in order to enable the fish to develop the strength to swim in strong current.

Garlic, lemon and butter go nicely with grilled catfish....

deli_llama

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like to cook fish in tin foil over an open fire. That sounds more like a prepper appropriate media. Just wrap the sucker up with lemon, butter, salt and garlic, and place on a rock in the fire. Done, son. I don't like catfish that much, it is one of those fish that always taste fishy, or off. There are a few places that make a batch I could eat the back end out of, like Cajun King.

Latest posts

Top Bottom