Cooking Catfish with no grease?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, catfish, deer, wild pigs are all good to eat, but preparation, care of the meat, age of animal, and in the case of catfish, species and type of water are all relevant. I do my own butchering, and my family exists on wild game almost exclusively. I wouldn't prepare a meal from a full grown rutting buck the same way I'd prepare a meal from a 60 lb fawn. I wouldn't say one is better than the other, just require different approaches.

deli_llama

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sure, I get that. I think my biggest problem is the most common preparation method for catfish. Most want to batter it in cornflour. Blech! In my opinion Cornflour/meal is too heavy and dense for any fish, and burns quickly. It also often becomes gritty when used in fish fry.

I am also trying to get to a point that would allow me to step away from the supermarket, preparing mostly all of my own meat. Kudos to you sir, I would love to hear of your experiences, and how you got started.

I am not trying to say, "Catfish is worthless, it must be the devil's food." I have just had some bad experiences with it, and a few good ones. You are right, prep is a lot of it, as well as the age of the fish, and its environment. I have been attempting to catch a good Catfish, mostly because my girlfriend wants to experience the catch, and preparation of it, but also in attempt to prove myself wrong--to prove with proper preparation Catfish can be the Cat's meow. I think my first attempt will be smoked cat. I also may approach it in the same manner as preparing Gar balls.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm actually writing a handbook on catching and preparing critters. Sort of a "redneck guide to survival". If I ever get done I'll post on here, I'm outlining "poor boy" ways to fill your freezer/belly. I have to disagree about the cornmeal for frying fish, though. Flour is way too heavy, but cornmeal done right I like.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Instead of the corn / flour mixture, I like to use Italian Bread crumbs, makes a very light coating. The species of catfish will determine the taste. Blues are the best. They don't call channel cat mud cat for nothing. From a prepper standpoint, salt and pepper, if you can get some onion even better, pan over open fire, turn frequently.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Like mentioned before preparation is key. Grampa alway hung them head up and chopped off the tail letting the blood run out before cleaning. Night and day difference.

To the O/P I'd season it with what I could and grill it over coals...

WWB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Danny is correct on smoked catfish. Use apple or alder wood if you have the choice. In a survival situation any seasoned hardwood. Smoking hides any off-putting flavors. I smoke them gutted and skinned.

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Man, I dunno ... I'd have to be awful hungry to eat catfish ... bleech ... I wish I could tell you guys I'm tough as nails and can take anything you can dish out but the truth of the matter is I have a very, very, VERY sensitive gag reflex and anything that tastes "off" just sits in my mouth ... I can't swallow it, I can't chew it, I can't spit it out ... I'm completely paralyzed. It's not good ... LOL ... GC thinks it's a HOOT! I suspect I might really die of starvation before I'd eat something my "delicate sensitivities" considers unpalatable ... :bigeye::drooling::puke:

Oh ... you could steam it ... water, pots, pans, spices ... You have everything you need to steam it ...

there's a joke in there somewhere :urwelcome::hey3:

skruball253

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It doesn't taste like mud to you?? (Seriously question ... Not clowning around.) I've always wondered if brining it first would help draw that yucky aftertaste out, but have never tried it.

Not to me, maybe just use to it. That is how I usually cook it whether its filets from the store or fresh bottom feeder from some murky Oklahoma water. It's still good.

Latest posts

Top Bottom