Cooking Catfish with no grease?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HardKnox

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you want to get rid of the bad taste, soak in milk or buttermilk over night and then cook. For the prepper, any way is a good way when you are hungry but tin foil and butter rock on fish.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I remember the mud baking method being in a Boy Scout handbook back in the 70s. If you gut and scale a perch, it tastes good no matter how you cook it. If you have the resouces, "filete a la diabla" is a nice choice.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cobra1 wrote: but if things get real bad I could consider the movie Castaway, yank it out the water, rip it open and munch, call it Sushi:

That brings back some memories of my childhood.
My dad and all his drunk buddies fishing all morning and into the afternoon on the end of this dock at Eufaula.
Was about 11 am and i asked what there is to eat for breakfast..nothing we will catch some fish and eat later.

1PM still no food in my belly,,them drunks are fine they got a bunch of smokes and lot's of milwaukee's best..
I had been catching a bunch of carp in the moss next to the dock and tossing them back..They were not catching anything but a buzz.
Well 2pm rolls around and time for my sushi ..It was hot outside but the water was cool...
I caught another carp, laid it up on the dock and cut into the side and removed me some tender cool white meat,
I had 1/2 the side of that carp eaten before my dad walked by on his way to get everyone more beer from the truck, and asked me
what i was doing.....Well eating something i am starving....He walked on....I had 2 sides of carp that day.
I do not remember any soda or water to drink...i do remember drinking water from the ice chest that the beer was in...
Fresh cool carp is actually pretty tasty....But you will have awfullllllll fish breath...Probably no worse than drunk cigarette breath.
Just me and the cockroaches.

elance

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
now that's a story not easily topped right there^i'm telling you ! i remember not being able to stay awake night fishing for mudcat with dad . fall asleep in front seat pickup . reason catfish don't taste good is cause "catfish charlie" don't taste good . lol

elance

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you even tasted Catfish Charley then YOU ARE THE MAN!
I have ate the minnows i have ate the raw crawdads grasshoppers june bugs scorpions raw muscles from the ponds. Ate the raw bacon when fishing for crawdads.
Was even fishing with corn and beef brains..no fish biting and snow on the ground..I made a fire and cooked my bait in an aluminum can i found..and ate it.and it was delicious.
BUT not Catfish Charley...Man has got to draw the line somewhere.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Another good way to cook fish without grease is to dice up potatoes, carrots, onions and bell peppers. Put a layer on foil, add a layer of fish, then add the rest of the veggi's. Two tablespoons of butter, salt and pepper, and another sheet of foil over the top, and seal the edges. Grill on medium heat for 20 minutes on each side, turning only once, or bury in hot coals for 20 minutes total.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What most people don't realize is that it is really easy to overcook fish. I'm one of those that doesn't like the oily fishy taste of some fish dishes, but that is mostly because the red meat referred to earlier wasn't removed. I've eaten fish gutted and cooked on a green willow stick on the creek bank, wishing for some salt to put on it. I've smoked it, fried it, and baked it in long green grass wrapping with mud over it. What usually tastes good out there I wouldn't like at the house.. When younger I'd drink creek water.. Not so much anymore.. Too many parasites now. I have family in Alaska and visit as often as I can make it. Mike has a wooden smoke house that he smokes all the game and fish he harvests each year. I don't think his family of four bought hardley any meet from the grocery stores for the past several years. On my fishing charters, I always donate the majority of the fish to Mike and family. The last one was an 120 pound halibut. It cost me a hundred dollars to ship a 20 pound box of filets home from that one.. Smoked Salmon, Bear, Moose and Carabou are all really good. Alaska would be a preppers dream except for the battle with the elements during the 9 months of winter... Blitzfike

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
now that's a story not easily topped right there^i'm telling you ! i remember not being able to stay awake night fishing for mudcat with dad . fall asleep in front seat pickup . reason catfish don't taste good is cause "catfish charlie" don't taste good . lol

elance

I can't top swampratt's story either ... well not as far as the fishing part goes ;) ... but your post reminded me of calving season. When my dad had his vet practice in Tahlequah I was in kindergarten. We lived way out in the country so it was not unusual for me to sleep in the front seat of my dad's truck while he went from one call to another during calving season. I had more clothes and toys at his practice than I did at home ... lol ... and spent more time at the auction house across the street than anywhere else on the planet. I had such a cool childhood in that respect. I often wonder how much different my life would have been if we'd stayed there, where I could get away from the drama that was my mother, and hang out with normal folks ... Ahhhh, well ... Good or bad, she made me the woman I am today. Or maybe that should be "Good and bad" lol

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What most people don't realize is that it is really easy to overcook fish. I'm one of those that doesn't like the oily fishy taste of some fish dishes, but that is mostly because the red meat referred to earlier wasn't removed. I've eaten fish gutted and cooked on a green willow stick on the creek bank, wishing for some salt to put on it. I've smoked it, fried it, and baked it in long green grass wrapping with mud over it. What usually tastes good out there I wouldn't like at the house.. When younger I'd drink creek water.. Not so much anymore.. Too many parasites now. I have family in Alaska and visit as often as I can make it. Mike has a wooden smoke house that he smokes all the game and fish he harvests each year. I don't think his family of four bought hardley any meet from the grocery stores for the past several years. On my fishing charters, I always donate the majority of the fish to Mike and family. The last one was an 120 pound halibut. It cost me a hundred dollars to ship a 20 pound box of filets home from that one.. Smoked Salmon, Bear, Moose and Carabou are all really good. Alaska would be a preppers dream except for the battle with the elements during the 9 months of winter... Blitzfike

I'll admit it ... I'm afraid of Alaska. That 9 months of winter would be my doing in ... It would be nice to visit there sometime though. My very best friend all through high school loved it when her husband was stationed up there (Red & Gray Army).

Model 70

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was originally considering a scenario like in the movie Defiance, but if things get real bad I could consider the movie Castaway, yank it out the water, rip it open and munch, call it Sushi: But, wrapped tin foil, butter and lemon pepper on an open fire sounds doable.

Hey Bro', I still have some catfish in the freezer from my last Arkansas River trip. Howz about a fish dinner at your place? You still have a grill?

Latest posts

Top Bottom