Cooking/Food thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okie362

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here ya go - 4 hours or so on the smoker at low low temp, 44 hours or so in the sous vide at 160°F. Took the bag juices, strained, added some wine, garlic, reduced, then added some cream of mushroom soup to make a sauce.

Them was GUUUUUD.

20200614_171153-X2.jpg

20200614_171028-X2.jpg

20200614_171436-X2.jpg

Also made a pair of these, right from scratch - easy peasy stuff, this:

20200614_193015-X2.jpg
Man o Man that looks good!

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Last night was what I call the poor boys seafood boil. Aldis has some jumbo shrimp on sale so one pound of those, package of Butterball turkey smoked sausage, one pound red skins and a few little corn on the cob pieces. 1/4 cub Old Bay, little onion, garlic powder and red pepper. I only got to eat 1 piece of corn and a few potatoes but lots of sausage and shrimp. Wife really loved it. She tore into it before I could get a photo so here is one similar from the web.
Shrimp-Boil-IMAGE-28.jpg

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
This evening I decided to do a little imitation of the Popeye's chicken sandwich I've heard so much about. So I got some chicken breasts and some chicken thighs and marinated those for about 4 hours in buttermilk, salt, cayenne, garlic powder and Louisiana hot sauce.

Here they are after the marinade and then sealed up to cook them sous vide.

20200627_165618.jpg
20200627_165656.jpg

Breasts at 147 for an hour, thighs at 165 for 2 hours

20200627_170725.jpg

I'll try to post pictures of the breading and frying later, then the sammiches.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This evening I decided to do a little imitation of the Popeye's chicken sandwich I've heard so much about. So I got some chicken breasts and some chicken thighs and marinated those for about 4 hours in buttermilk, salt, cayenne, garlic powder and Louisiana hot sauce.

Here they are after the marinade and then sealed up to cook them sous vide.

View attachment 166647View attachment 166648

Breasts at 147 for an hour, thighs at 165 for 2 hours

View attachment 166649

I'll try to post pictures of the breading and frying later, then the sammiches.
I think someone had a great meal, hit the recliner and woke up with a full belly late at night after teasing us with a promise to post the final results.:D
Been there done that.:blush:

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, true story of life in a small town diner during the rona.
Pulled into the diner for dinner tonight. Advertised as a steak house and Mexican food place. Great reviews before the rona.
Wife ordered a specialty burger and I ordered the ribeye. Some of the reviews stated steaks were over cooked as requested but went ahead and an ordered the ribeye rare. I prefer medium rare but have found that few restaurants even the big chains and specialty steak restaurants actually know the difference in rare and well done, so ordering rare is typically a safe way to get at least some pink in the center of the $30 steak.
The salad, steak, fries and a veggi medley came out to the table medium well. Took one poke of the steak with the fork to figure out it was overdone.
Before getting the first bite cut, the cook came out and asked if I liked the steak. Had no clue other than knowing it was medium well by a poke of the fork, but in this day and time of the rona just smiled and said it was fine. Most restaurants have entirely new staff now and we aren't going to complain about whatever comes out.
No need to ruin someones day and what they think might have been a good job.
Later on after a couple of cuts realized I'd got a T-bone instead of a ribeye. Not the greatest fan of a T-bone but it's certainly edible.
When the check came by the cook appeared again and asked again how the steak was and I informed here nicely that it was a T-bone, not a ribeye. She never stuttered or any thing but said that was the first steak she had ever cooked and could not find the rib eyes in the freezer so what I got was was what she could find. Turned around and walked away.
My wife and I laughed silently looking at each other while we finished our cocktails and left. We left a good tip and chalked it up to another adventure in a small town diner.
What's a shame is that that place will get bad reviews on social media and probably cost them major business because of an inexperienced cook.
I don't know how to correct that and it's not my job to do so, but a good steak cook is a diamond among restaurants. If you have one or even one that is half a$$ed the staff can be trained to assess the doneness of a steak with a simple fork, refusing to take it out if not properly done because it will come back costing the business money and a bad reputation on social media in reviews.
I can also have sympathy with the restaurants that are only allowed to currently operate at 1/2 occupancy or take out. Its a tough world for them, hence the reason we did not complain.

Latest posts

Top Bottom