Cops Stand By and Watch Man Drown

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nope. Just knowing the basics of the situation, I don't think it's appropriate for an officer, untrained in water rescue, to try and attempt a rescue. Call for help immediately? Yes. Look for any other means to assist from the dock/shore? Yes. A rope, hose, anything that might reach.

Get in the water, swim to the guy who's struggling, while not trained to do so? Absolutely not.

If an officer decides to do that, fine. But that isn't their job.

That's like expecting firefighters, who aren't armed, to attempt to stop a shooter. They don't do it. They wait for the people who are equipped for that scenario. Firefighters and paramedics stage in a safe area ALL THE TIME until police officers insure a scene is safe. How is that any different?

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This was a 200+lb man with warrants trying to evade police. He voluntarily chose to enter the water. I don't expect a police officer to enter the water and wrestle with him. They did call for a boat when he entered.

Especially without knowing if he had any weapons like a knife. The same reason they stand back until help arrives if they shot a suspect. Until the suspect is in cuffs, he can harm/kill an officer. This situation was no different.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do we know if the cops could even swim? Water rescue is very dangerous, much more so if you are not a strong swimmer. Throw in an armed man…

No... We don't know everything about the situation. What we do know is there's a cool YouTube video about it and bashing cops is the in thing to do these days.

When a cop f**ks up, it's funny how so many gun owners are very quick to jump on the bandwagon and lump all cops together as cowards or whatever. And when a gunowner f**ks up and kills someone, and the left lumps all gunowners into the "killer" category, nothing but pissing and moaning from gun owners about how their guns have never killed anyone, etc.

It's pretty tiresome.

And, yes, I know... Some cops shouldn't be wearing the badge. I worked with some. But they're no different than anyone else in terms of being people. Some will make bad decisions. I find it hilarious, though, how so many people are law enforcement experts and know all the ins and outs of police procedures and tactics when they've been trained as a police officer. I don't think there's any other profession where that kind of thing happens.

When a pilot f**ks up and crashes a plane full of people no one immediately jumps into the conversation to say "he should've used left rudder and applied more power to the #2 engine while applying right pressure on the stick".

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ignorance? Lack of objectivity? I can think of a lot of other reasons to think of them all that way...
Maybe they get tired of cops that act like hall monitors? Bullies, or rather attempts at being bullies?

The fact that cops at every level of government serve the officeholders? (as opposed to the citizens)

Who's going to confiscate guns? Politicians?

Recently TPD did an outstanding job of rushing in to the sound of danger - being an example of what responders can and should do.

How often is that required? Are these the same heroes that enforced mask mandates on restaurants? Same guys that play the "where are you going?" "why?" fishing game when you get pulled over for a traffic violation?

Same guys that get red-in-the-face pissed off when you don't meekly obey their every command, or God forbid, assert your rights?

Yeah, some cops are brave, good guys. Doesn't mean the arrogant attitude of many hasn't poisoned the well.

Gadsden

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ignorance? Lack of objectivity? I can think of a lot of other reasons to think of them all that way...
It's not worth the time it takes to respond to their ignorance. Like all Monday Morning Quarterbacks they THINK they have all the answers in spite of the fact that they have no experience and have never walked in the shoes of those they are so quick to criticize.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's not worth the time it takes to respond to their ignorance. Like all Monday Morning Quarterbacks they THINK they have all the answers in spite of the fact that they have no experience and have never walked in the shoes of those they are so quick to criticize.

Yes, personal experience and multiple interactions over a lifetime can hardly lead to an accurate conclusion.

Gadsden

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, personal experience and multiple interactions over a lifetime can hardly lead to an accurate conclusion.
Having had "personal experience and multiple interactions over a lifetime" speaks volumes. Especially considering most people rarely have any interaction with law enforcement. I suggest taking a long hard look in the mirror.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom