Coye Knives

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Coye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Congrats! I must say, after seeing your knifed at the med class I'm deffinately a fan.

Thank you!

I'm curious...have you had them tested on the rockwell scale? How hard are your knives? They are a beautiful piece of work.

Thanks. The short answer: no, I have not had them tested. The heat treating "recipe" I use for Crucibles 154CM shows a Rockwell of 58-60. Immediate plate quenching is crucial. With the additional cryogenic treatment I believe it's higher than that initally but I'll temper an additional two times (total of three temper cycles).

I can say that having used a knife for a living for almost 17 years, it's been my goal to produce a stainless knife that the end user can put an edge back on without difficulty. That means keeping hardness reasonable. Several of my early 440C knives have/are seeing combat service in the middle east and Asia. Reports have been very positive thus far. I've been really hard on my knives in testing because I want people to trust them.

One knife in particular has seen two separate "close encounters" with enemy forces and it's owner walked away from both engagements. So, the moral of the story here is to make your stuff right the first time, everytime, because you never know how or where it's going to be used.

Sorry for the long-winded answer to your question.

thats awsome.... i need to get one of these before you become so inundated that i cannot get one.

Swing by the table and say hello at Wanenmachers next month - section 5C right on the main east/west isle on the top floor. We're on the east end of that isle. Martin Knives of Texas (you have see Newtons grinds), Craig Steketee, Mike Miller Custom Knives, and dealer Stew Killiam will all be hanging out togther. Mr. Billy helton will be in his regular spot on the lower level.

Bill Coye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Please forgive the self-promotion but here's the article for those that do not get KI. Many of you have been with me from the start and I wanted to share this here.

ai811.photobucket.com_albums_zz36_4mac_KI20101_1.jpg

ai811.photobucket.com_albums_zz36_4mac_KI20102.jpg

Cheers,

BC

Latest posts

Top Bottom