Crank shaft lock?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not positive, but I think the D35 uses hydraulic timing chain tensioners. Without oil pressure, they may be relaxed enough that they're letting the chain slacken enough for the valves to make contact when they normally wouldn't. But that's just a semi-educated guess, and I'm not sure how you'd work around that.

As far as you're getting into it to do the water pump, it's probably a good idea to go ahead and do the timing set while you're in there.

Preacherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not positive, but I think the D35 uses hydraulic timing chain tensioners. Without oil pressure, they may be relaxed enough that they're letting the chain slacken enough for the valves to make contact when they normally wouldn't. But that's just a semi-educated guess, and I'm not sure how you'd work around that.

As far as you're getting into it to do the water pump, it's probably a good idea to go ahead and do the timing set while you're in there.

I like this and hope it is right.

918evo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes. Please tell me that is all there is to it.

It will turn clock wise to tdc compression and then counter clock wise to tdc
I don't have any experience with your engine, but I do know that on Ford's 2.3, if you remove the harmonic balancer and rotate then engine, it can come out of time. I would suspect that your valves are hitting the pistons and I hope you haven't tweaked them.

Preacherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't have any experience with your engine, but I do know that on Ford's 2.3, if you remove the harmonic balancer and rotate then engine, it can come out of time. I would suspect that your valves are hitting the pistons and I hope you haven't tweaked them.
I hope not as well. I have only turned the crank manually and have not forced anything. I hate to put the cover on and button it up w/out knowing.

Preacherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMG_0132.JPG
IMG_0133.JPG
Pull the valve cover & see if u have a valve steam being depressed.
I'm in deep.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I told my kids Never buy a V6 car unless it is a Buick rear wheel drive with a 3.8.
I then told them if you buy a front wheel drive vehicle you work on it yourself and A V6 front wheel drive I will never help you and you deserve what you get.

Worst idea ever.

I wish you the best of luck Preacherman.
I had my fill of new stuff years ago.
I have owned 1 V6 car and it was rear wheel drive 1978 Skylark with a carburetor.
That one was not too bad. Lots of inline 6 rear drive vehicles.

I will say it looks like you were blessed with a lot of room in that area.
Can't say the same for many I have seen.

Latest posts

Top Bottom