Cross country moving fairly large gun collection

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhart

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do you realize you've effectively poked holes in every piece of advice that you solicited in your original post?
I am genuinely curious if your unaware of a social gaffe or you have a irrational (at least to a majority or your selected peers) fear of this situation.
Either way this is probably the incorrect venue for the assistance you need at this time.
"you've effectively poked holes in every piece of advice that you solicited in your original post" you're going to have to explain that one to me because I fail to see what you're getting at.

Last edited:

rhart

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do you realize you've effectively poked holes in every piece of advice that you solicited in your original post?
I am genuinely curious if your unaware of a social gaffe or you have a irrational (at least to a majority or your selected peers) fear of this situation.
Either way this is probably the incorrect venue for the assistance you need at this time.
"curious if your unaware of a social gaffe" I guess I am because I am not aware of a "social gaffe" as you say. Could you elaborate?

rhart

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anything could happen no matter which route you choose to travel. Distracted drivers, flat tires, unseen breakdowns. Sometimes the authorities may even stop to assist if you’re having problems. If you decide to drive through Illinois or any other state the percentage of drivers who get stopped in my opinion are relatively low and I would think you’d be fine as long as you’re operating in a safe manner. Of course I don’t you and you could be one of those people who just attract attention. Good luck!!!!
Thanks for responding in a civil manner. Actually, I rarely get pulled over either locally or when moving from one state to another - so I feel I'm actually a low-key law abiding kind of guy who shows LE respect when I do interact with them. So no, I don't attract attention as a rule. I'm definitely not one of the "sovereign citizen types" and I'm also not one of the "audit the police" types (I support their right to "audit", but I think they're just bringing grief upon themselves).

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for responding in a civil manner. Actually, I rarely get pulled over either locally or when moving from one state to another...

Sir,
We're 10 pages into this thread, and you've gotten good suggestions from multiple people.

It's time to end the thread.
How are you going to make the move?

red dirt shootist

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have to apologize to rhart for stepping on his thread, but I have to tell this story. Around 1972 I had a couple of friends move to San Francisco, but things didn't go well and they called me and asked if I would help them move back. 2 of them and 3 cars. I said sure, I'll come out a week or two early and hang out while we get ready. So I met a Chinese girl that became my girlfriend and it was great. So we got ready to go, drove all night and got into Arizona next morning. Well I passed by a Highway Patrolman that lit me up. Now my buddies are in sportscars, and I'm in a 63 Chevy, white with primer spots all over because they bought it from our neighbor who was a heroin addict, but one of the nicest guys you ever met. So the patrolman walks up and says can I see your license, and I've already got it in my hand, but he didn't see it because he's looking at the load. The 63 is riding low, bad shocks so it feels like I'm driving a boat, I got a 16 foot canoe strapped to the top of the car, just riding on some 2x4's cause that's all we had. Then I have a blanket on top of the back seat area and a guitar on top of the blanket. Now the cop is looking it all over and says, "what's under the blanket?" I say, " a 1948 panhead Harley." We left the back seat in an alley in SF. He says, "there isn't room for a Harley back there." I say " the front end is in the trunk." He says "would you step out of the car and open the trunk and pull back that blanket over the back seat." So I do both. and he say's " uh huh." Then he says, " is it normal for people from Oklahoma to drive around like this?" I could see a slight grin, and he was holding back a laugh. So I say yeah, we don't have a lot of money so we just use cars for whatever. He says "uh huh, the reason I stopped you is your tag is blowing in the wind and is improperly displayed. So here is what I'm going to do, I'm going to give you a warning for the tag, on the condition that you promise me you will drive straight through Arizona, stopping only for gas. Do we have a deal?" I say," that is our plan, and he says, "uh huh."

Now, I think you are far more likely to get help from a cop, than be bothered by one.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have to apologize to rhart for stepping on his thread, but I have to tell this story. Around 1972 I had a couple of friends move to San Francisco, but things didn't go well and they called me and asked if I would help them move back. 2 of them and 3 cars. I said sure, I'll come out a week or two early and hang out while we get ready. So I met a Chinese girl that became my girlfriend and it was great. So we got ready to go, drove all night and got into Arizona next morning. Well I passed by a Highway Patrolman that lit me up. Now my buddies are in sportscars, and I'm in a 63 Chevy, white with primer spots all over because they bought it from our neighbor who was a heroin addict, but one of the nicest guys you ever met. So the patrolman walks up and says can I see your license, and I've already got it in my hand, but he didn't see it because he's looking at the load. The 63 is riding low, bad shocks so it feels like I'm driving a boat, I got a 16 foot canoe strapped to the top of the car, just riding on some 2x4's cause that's all we had. Then I have a blanket on top of the back seat area and a guitar on top of the blanket. Now the cop is looking it all over and says, "what's under the blanket?" I say, " a 1948 panhead Harley." We left the back seat in an alley in SF. He says, "there isn't room for a Harley back there." I say " the front end is in the trunk." He says "would you step out of the car and open the trunk and pull back that blanket over the back seat." So I do both. and he say's " uh huh." Then he says, " is it normal for people from Oklahoma to drive around like this?" I could see a slight grin, and he was holding back a laugh. So I say yeah, we don't have a lot of money so we just use cars for whatever. He says "uh huh, the reason I stopped you is your tag is blowing in the wind and is improperly displayed. So here is what I'm going to do, I'm going to give you a warning for the tag, on the condition that you promise me you will drive straight through Arizona, stopping only for gas. Do we have a deal?" I say," that is our plan, and he says, "uh huh."

Now, I think you are far more likely to get help from a cop, than be bothered by one.
Nope, never got a warning in my life, just tickets for speeding, which I earned honestly.

rhart

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Neat story. While I believe it's still possible to run into decent LEs now days, I also have this suspicion that things have changed from back in the 70's. People are more political and divided now it seems to me - and that includes LE (especially with their focus on drug trafficking). Police are incentivised by their departments to perform vehicle searches to find drugs/confiscate money and make DUI arrests (bonuses, promotions, etc.). The system actually encourages officers to violate citizens rights to play a numbers game to make busts. By 'numbers game' I mean for every so many searches they make X-amount of drug busts. Not sure what the actual statistics are, but let's say they make 1 drug bust for every 15 searches they make - that means 14 innocent citizens were coerced into agreeing to be searched so that one arrest could be made (alternatively, some number of drug-sniffing canines falsely alerted on cars so that police could have probable cause to search). My research indicates that some LE agencies actually train their officers on how to use trick wording and/or other methods to get people to agree (however reluctantly) to searches - I call this coercion (telling them how much longer they'll be delayed if they have to wait for the canine unit, etc.). I wish things were like the 60's and 70's again, but unfortunately it isn't so.

rhart

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"Unlike criminal proceedings, civil forfeiture does not require proof beyond a reasonable doubt. The government can seize and keep cash, cars, and other assets without a conviction — often without proving anything by any standard in any court. In more than 90% of federal cases, the government overwhelms property owners in a procedural maze and wins administratively."

"the perverse incentives built into civil forfeiture. Federal law and many state laws allow participating agencies to keep 100% of proceeds for themselves, creating a mechanism to self-fund through aggressive enforcement focused on activities most likely to generate payment."

This. Right. Here. This is how they can seize and keep one's guns (heck, even your car, etc.) if they pull you over.

Latest posts

Top Bottom