Cross country moving fairly large gun collection

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 51785

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
1692962872980.png

user 51785

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
"Unlike criminal proceedings, civil forfeiture does not require proof beyond a reasonable doubt. The government can seize and keep cash, cars, and other assets without a conviction — often without proving anything by any standard in any court. In more than 90% of federal cases, the government overwhelms property owners in a procedural maze and wins administratively."

"the perverse incentives built into civil forfeiture. Federal law and many state laws allow participating agencies to keep 100% of proceeds for themselves, creating a mechanism to self-fund through aggressive enforcement focused on activities most likely to generate payment."

This. Right. Here. This is how they can seize and keep one's guns (heck, even your car, etc.) if they pull you over.
1692963149587.png

Gadsden

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rather than move to Ohio maybe move to Realityville. It's a pretty nice place to live.
He'd never make it anywhere like that. I'd say a much more appropriate setting would be anywhere on the left coast or similar (reality verboten) places scattered across the country.

Last edited:

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've moved across country several times. I guess I'm really lucky I've never been robbed by the police. Hell...I've never even been stopped by the police for a bogus (or legitimate) reason. I'm double lucky.
I have been stopped in the tx panhandle multiple times for bogus reasons after co legalized pot. Was quickly let go every time without a ticket or warning. That’s about it.

StLPro2A

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What is the best/safest way to transport a significant amount of firearms across several state lines when relocating/moving to a new home? I'm contemplating moving back to Ohio from Oklahoma, but I'm concerned about being pulled over by various states' police force(s) who may be inclined to confiscate my firearms/ammo (and/or knives/cutting/chopping instruments) for their own personal benefit.

I was thinking about using one of those shipping container services where I pack it and I lock it (and only I have a key) while they transport it to my new home and park it in the driveway for me. Has anyone ever used this kind of service?

I suppose I watch too many YouTube videos where the police (usually highway patrol) make up bogus reasons to pull people over and coerce them into agreeing to vehicle searches or call in drug sniffing dogs and force the dogs to false alert on the vehicle so they can search and when they find nothing in the end they drive off leaving all the guy's belongings strewn all over the roadside and their car seats slit open in multiple spots where they probed for 'hidden drugs.' Of course the police mostly target vehicles with out-of-state tags.
A UHaul pack-n-ship container concentrates risk....all eggs in one basket. Remember locks only keep out kids and terminally stupid. Locks are illusions of security. Most can be picked, re-locked, no trace of entry. What is your gun insurance position? Maybe worthwhile to increase coverage during relo. Maybe make several smaller load trips. PITA, but better manages risk. Stay south of Illinois.....OK-AR-TN-KY-OH.....don't speed, use turn signals, wear seat belts, no phones/texting, no tailgating, etc. Despite what Prickster's Stazi might tell you, You are OK to travel through Ill, but stop (interrupt your travel) and you are at risk with a lengthy list of NO-NO guns/ammo....ARs, 50s, et el. Maybe carry documents confirming move....job offer, new lease/purchase of property, etc. Exercise care stopping over night. Thieves stalk lodging/rest spots, esp near interstates for out-of-state- plates. Harbor Freight moving blankets wrapping maybe four guns per blanket secured with plastic wrap packaging stretch wrap is good protection, where individual gun cases...ie Pelican...get bulky quickly.

Last edited:

user 51785

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
A UHaul pack-n-ship container concentrates risk....all eggs in one basket. Remember locks only keep out kids and terminally stupid. Locks are illusions of security. Most can be picked, re-locked, no trace of entry. What is your gun insurance position? Maybe worthwhile to increase coverage during relo. Maybe make several smaller load trips. PITA, but better manages risk. Stay south of Illinois.....OK-AR-TN-KY-OH.....don't speed, use turn signals, wear seat belts, no phones/texting, no tailgating, etc. Despite what Prickster's Stazi might tell you, You are OK to travel through Ill, but stop (interrupt your travel) and you are at risk with a lengthy list of NO-NO guns/ammo....ARs, 50s, et el. Maybe carry documents confirming move....job offer, new lease/purchase of property, etc. Exercise care stopping over night. Thieves stalk lodging/rest spots, esp near interstates for out-of-state- plates. Harbor Freight moving blankets wrapping maybe four guns per blanket secured with plastic wrap packaging stretch wrap is good protection, where individual gun cases...ie Pelican...get bulky quickly.
job? new/lease purchase property? lol. guess you didn't read where he's a grown man moving to live rent free off his brother. ain't no job and there ain't no property not in his name for sure

rhart

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All good information. Thanks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom