Dangerous Dogs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think you have a dog problem - you have a people problem. Sounds like they are there for free granny rent and minimal LEO presence. Increasing the LEO presence may be a solution, but be prepared for the direst extreme when their lifestyle and career path are threatened.

For either 2 or 4 legged problems I'm a +1 on #4 buck based on deer hunting experience. Seems to pattern better with a modified or full choke than 00, but either is fine for short distance with an open choke. I never see 12 guage #1 buckshot anymore.

Cedar Creek

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Reading comprehension, notice I said go to the owner and ask(while the owner is present and can control them). Never would I recommend approaching them without the owner present unless there is just one and you are armed and ready to shoot. I agree with you though....approaching a pack of dogs who appear dangerous is asking to get mauled.

It was more of a smartass remark, I get what you were sayin.

firefighterguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm having a similar issue with my neighbors pit. What's the legality of shooting a dog if it comes at you aggressively. It's tried to bite my father in law. If it ever came after me I wouldn't hesitate to shoot it. I live in city limits and feel like it would be a headache when the cops get called but not as much of a headache as an injured family member.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd use a 12ga, #4 buck. It'll drop them where they stand and it still won't carry like 00 buck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Funny we are mentioning shooting dogs with various projectiles and calibers, as I've seen a lot of pits that have been shot. I've seen them evicerated by .40 and 9mm when shot in the soft part of their belly, and one instance I saw a pit take a tazer, and then a 12ga hollow point slug in your classic vitals box, and then a full blast of 00 buck following the slug. All from About 10 feet. The dog stopped running, and stood there for a second before he laid down. Dogs, esp pits, can be considerably tougher that we think. Animals don't know when to die, they just keep going until there is enough damage to force them to stop.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm having a similar issue with my neighbors pit. What's the legality of shooting a dog if it comes at you aggressively. It's tried to bite my father in law. If it ever came after me I wouldn't hesitate to shoot it. I live in city limits and feel like it would be a headache when the cops get called but not as much of a headache as an injured family member.

What city's limits? Normally, in self defense (same as with a person) you can gun that dog down if it is causing you to reasonably deduce that your life or limb is at risk. If you're within OKC limits I can explain to you how the dangerous dog ordinance found in chapter 8 of Okc ordinances works and how to build a case.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would drop the dog right there. I love dogs but when the dog is that aggressive and let roam free I wouldn't think twice. Especially when I have already tried to resolve it with the owners. When the vet bills were incurred I would have put a stop to it. But that's just me.

1krr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know if I'm clear on the neighbor situation. Who are they to you? Family/friends? Are they crazy, have threatened you, done something else that makes you afraid to take action against these obviously dangerous animals? Are you afraid they will vandalize your property if you blow that damned dog away? I can't imagine a situation where I would allow a threat to persist that would cause me to instruct my wife to carry a gun to take out the trash with a shoot to kill warning. I'm trying to walk a mile in your shoes but you are going to have to help me lace up.

300WSM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If there was a creature threatening my family to the point that I was afraid for them to leave the house, my number one priority would be to eliminate the threat.

cmhbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He's previously said in this thread that there is constant traffic at the home, 24/7. strongly suggesting some sort of illicit activity at the home. I think he's doing exactly the right thing by involving law enforcement, because it's not a simple matter of three threatening dogs. It's bigger than that, and he knows it, and now the cops know it. I'd almost bet on LE activity behind the scenes on this, now that a deputy has visited the home.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Funny we are mentioning shooting dogs with various projectiles and calibers, as I've seen a lot of pits that have been shot. I've seen them evicerated by .40 and 9mm when shot in the soft part of their belly, and one instance I saw a pit take a tazer, and then a 12ga hollow point slug in your classic vitals box, and then a full blast of 00 buck following the slug. All from About 10 feet. The dog stopped running, and stood there for a second before he laid down. Dogs, esp pits, can be considerably tougher that we think. Animals don't know when to die, they just keep going until there is enough damage to force them to stop.

I promise, #4 buck from in Federal Flight control wad or the Hornady (same exact wad) is going to drop them with a solid hit in the face or frontal shot to their chest. It's near like shooting a slug for about 15 yards sometimes more depending on the gun. They come in the 3" variety too. They'll make mincemeat out of a coyote at 50 yards, but we ain't talking coyotes either. I can really believe that if they were shot with the low recoil versions. They are just wimpy loads, good for competition and target shooting, but not so much for serious work.

Latest posts

Top Bottom