Dangerous Dogs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I promise, #4 buck from in Federal Flight control wad or the Hornady (same exact wad) is going to drop them with a solid hit in the face or frontal shot to their chest. It's near like shooting a slug for about 15 yards sometimes more depending on the gun. They come in the 3" variety too. They'll make mincemeat out of a coyote at 50 yards, but we ain't talking coyotes either. I can really believe that if they were shot with the low recoil versions. They are just wimpy loads, good for competition and target shooting, but not so much for serious work.

I agree with you shadowrider, by all means. I'm just saying that there is a lot of times where the rules that have always applied just go out the window. There's always exceptions. Take the guy I read about a few years ago up in Yankee land who shot a black bear several times in the head with 20ga slugs, only to have the bear eat half of him before it died.

And assuming that the dog who was shot twice was shot by OCPD, I think it's safe to say they used the low recoil rounds, as my understanding is that the low recoil is heavily preferred in that line of work and is marketed to Leo's and military.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with you shadowrider, by all means. I'm just saying that there is a lot of times where the rules that have always applied just go out the window. There's always exceptions. Take the guy I read about a few years ago up in Yankee land who shot a black bear several times in the head with 20ga slugs, only to have the bear eat half of him before it died.

And assuming that the dog who was shot twice was shot by OCPD, I think it's safe to say they used the low recoil rounds, as my understanding is that the low recoil is heavily preferred in that line of work and is marketed to Leo's and military.

Death of any animal or human is caused by loss of blood to the brain. Most hunters have seen deer/coyote/elk/elephant continue to run after having their heart turned into mush. The length of time that it takes for the blood loss to effect the brain can cause a lot of damage to the human in close proximity.

I've taken hundreds of big game animals doing an autopsy on each. I can verify the hearts being mush, or nearly mush while the animal made another 50-100 yds depending on how fast they lost blood pressure. Wounds to the lungs/liver result in massive blood loss as well, but the animal still lives for a short period.
Central nervous system shots are the ONLY way an animal goes down instantly. Humans are the same.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

A lot of it is. My low recoil stuff is marked specifically for LEO. Winchester Ranger "Law Enforcement Ammunition" and even has a tin star right on the box. I only use it occasionally in my pump gun and only in matches. It's night and day lighter than my Remington "max load" slugs and buck, they'll clear your sinuses for you.

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would have taken that shot easily. Downward angle...an Alaskan isn't going to ricochet off path.
In fact I would shot all 3 maybe, using my 1911. 3 easy shots.

Not this Papa-San. He has backtracked off my land, and the other two are on the neighbor's land. For me, an angle like that is not enough; the bullet will certainly exit at a shallow angle, skip off the ground and continue in its flight path until it hits something. I tried for a shot, but I presented too early. Perhaps in the morning, when I get out of the truck to open the gate. I must have a sharp downward angle so the bullet enters the earth after passing through the target. All hell will break loose when I do this, and it must be a clean shot. It has to be a safe shot. It may take several more episodes before I can get one. I will immediately notify the Sheriff's dept when the target is successfully engaged.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A lot of it is. My low recoil stuff is marked specifically for LEO. Winchester Ranger "Law Enforcement Ammunition" and even has a tin star right on the box. I only use it occasionally in my pump gun and only in matches. It's night and day lighter than my Remington "max load" slugs and buck, they'll clear your sinuses for you.

That Winchester Ranger Low Recoil slugs will kill the hell out of 150-200# feral pigs. I wouldn't be scared to use it on a large dog that was threatening my safety.

okie362

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm close enough I could do a drive by on them in the middle of the night if you'd like. Something thugs and gangstas understand maybe??

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not this Papa-San. He has backtracked off my land, and the other two are on the neighbor's land. For me, an angle like that is not enough; the bullet will certainly exit at a shallow angle, skip off the ground and continue in its flight path until it hits something. I tried for a shot, but I presented too early. Perhaps in the morning, when I get out of the truck to open the gate. I must have a sharp downward angle so the bullet enters the earth after passing through the target. All hell will break loose when I do this, and it must be a clean shot. It has to be a safe shot. It may take several more episodes before I can get one. I will immediately notify the Sheriff's dept when the target is successfully engaged.

From the view I see in post #120, any exiting bullet is going nowhere but into the soft wet ground. What else is there in this scenario that we don't know about; that doesn't meet the eye?

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Stack'em like cordwood, including any 2-legs that come looking for retribution, before you or someone you care about gets mauled.

Naw Gabe; let 'em lie where they fall; why go to any effort to stack 'em up? I'm all about saving energy.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i'm late to this party but will chime in with nothing meaningful other than to opine.

Not a fan of Pits for many reasons. Those sumbitches look extra big and extra aggressive. Sounds like the neighbors are turds and could end up worse than the dogs. How close are the neighbors? Are the neighbors house in view of the pics taken in the first post? Couple hundred yards away with trees and brush in between?

My MO would have those dogs DRT the next time they acted like that. I would then bury them out in the North 40. No one needs to know if it came down to this. I would probably buy a cheap tripod mountable video camera or dash cam and film everytime I was out to that area in a vehicle. Body cam like a go pro for "proof".

The safety of me and mine is priority.

Latest posts

Top Bottom