Dealing with the Police After

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. :thumb:
Is it OK to ask for Sarg. Brown at the scene if its in Ttown?:)

You can certainly try.......

I try to show up for every CCW or homeowner shooting in the city if only to get some details for educational purposes. If I'm not there, I always go to homicide in the following days and try to get some details.

Real incidents yield a ton of lessons.

Now they do a special warble tone on the radio for every shooting in the city so its easier to hear where they're happening.

Just remember though, I'm still a police officer and you should assume that anything you say to me at work will likely be repeated.

Away from work, that's another story (especially for J.P.:nutkick:).

Michael Brown

swavy00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
AWESOME POST!! Thanks Michael! One of these days I am going to buy you lunch. Or coffee and a donut. HA Seriously, Thank you! Your threads are always outstanding and informative.

madmax

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"I really wish the lawyer who helps conduct the CCW classes at H & H would stop giving advice that pretty much contradicts this."

He must not represent innocent people! :D
Heh, maybe so. Fortunately they did have another instructor present that had a different view of how to handle such a situation, though he wasn't as specific or as blunt as I would have liked him to be. I believe he was a former police officer, which might lead one to believe there is some general disconnect between lawyers and police officers in such matters.

madmax

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just have one small objection: I don't have a lawyer. I don't want to have to pay for a lawyer unless it's necessary. If I think it's an obvious good shoot (which I fully expect it to be if I ever draw my weapon and fire it at someone), then I will be quite hesitant to call any lawyer as in my view, I most likely won't need one. My plan would be to weigh the situation, the reaction of any witnesses and the officers' response to what I tell him/her and take it from there.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just have one small objection: I don't have a lawyer. I don't want to have to pay for a lawyer unless it's necessary. If I think it's an obvious good shoot (which I fully expect it to be if I ever draw my weapon and fire it at someone), then I will be quite hesitant to call any lawyer as in my view, I most likely won't need one. My plan would be to weigh the situation, the reaction of any witnesses and the officers' response to what I tell him/her and take it from there.

While you can certainly do fine without one, my personal advice is to have a lawyer.

Everyone there will have a lawyer to represent their needs; the city, the suspect. You should too.

The primary reason is that the type of detached logic and thought that you describe above can be very difficult after you have just had your life flash before your eyes. We're all capable of it as we sit in front of the keyboard but when your hands are shaking and your head is spinning, its much harder.

You are correct that you PROBABLY won't NEED one, but I generally suggest that you cover your bases when your freedom and livlihood might be on the line.

There is always a 10% disaster factor when dealing with the criminal justice system. That is the best case clean scenario. you just never know and a lawyer does much better if he/she can get in the process early rather than try to save you later.

Just my take but it's not iron-clad.

Michael Brown

madmax

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
But that will be on your own dime, as no lawyer will be appointed for you unless you're actually arrested. Grrr..... What if you don't actually know a lawyer to call at the time? Do they allow you to go look one up?

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
But that will be on your own dime, as no lawyer will be appointed for you unless you're actually arrested. Grrr..... What if you don't actually know a lawyer to call at the time? Do they allow you to go look one up?

You will be able to look one up, but I'd suggest finding a lawyer in your area beforehand. I have two that I will call.

Start by asking any lawyer you know who they'd call if they were arrested.

If you don't know a single lawyer in your area, ask a knowledgeable police officer the same question.

If you can't do that either, use a phone book and make your most educated guess.

You DO NOT want a lawyer that the court appoints for you if you live in a large jurisdiction as you will get an overloaded public defender. If you live in a smaller jurisdiction, your chances are better but I personally will shell out my own money no matter what. Its a matter of perspective.

I'm not saying the rules of the road are good. I'm trying to provide a map for them.

Michael Brown

Latest posts

Top Bottom