Dealing with the Police After

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trade_sniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have thought about this a bunch. The group of us needs to get together and find a lawyer that is good for just such a scenario. I don't know any lawyers either, but I sure would like to know who to call if I ever needed to. Surely with the LE's and others on here, someone knows a lawyer that defends INNOCENT people. Maybe we can get an OKShooters discount if we all contact him and get cards to keep in our wallet? Maybe locate one in the Tulsa area and one in the OKC area.

Maybe we should start a new thread about this topic so people can make recommendations and hear feedback if anyone has any, narrow down our choices and select one.

Thoughts?

And thanks once again Michael for another excellent post. This is exactly one of the reasons I wrote the editor of USCCA mag.

trade_sniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe so, but I don't want to wait to wait until I NEED one to find out. That's why I'd like to see some action on this now. Looks like the NRA would have a 'directory' of NRA approved lawyers.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Another reason you WANT/NEED a lawyer is because you can expect some type of civil lawsuit to come your way. Always remember...no matter what kind of scumbag you just shot - he/she was somebody's son, daughter, brother, sister, husband, wife, best friend, etc. etc. etc. and no matter what he/she did, their friends and loved ones are gonna COME AFTER YOU in some fashion!

A civil lawsuit will SURELY follow.

swavy00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have also thought having a lawyer buddy would be helpful. My corporate lawyer wouldn't touch this. Maybe he would know someone who would. Probably should develop a relationship with him/her now.

OKC MAD COW

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Although most don't seem to agree with the advice of the lawyer at H&H, he represents police officers involved in shootings and explains his resons for not provided info at the time of the shooting. Do we have to agree on this? No. As mentioned before, the other instructor does not totally agree either. Would I use him if involved in a shooting, Yes. His relationship with H&H and his experience seems to of worthy of consideration.

The attorney that teaches at H&H is Doug Friesen and his contact info is below. (Just in case).

1309 North Shartel Avenue
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73103Directions
Office (405) 239-2722Fax (405) 235-2453

Thanks M.B. and everybody else for the info and experience on this. Hopefully none of us have to use this.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Although most don't seem to agree with the advice of the lawyer at H&H, he represents police officers involved in shootings and explains his resons for not provided info at the time of the shooting. Do we have to agree on this? No. As mentioned before, the other instructor does not totally agree either. Would I use him if involved in a shooting, Yes. His relationship with H&H and his experience seems to of worthy of consideration.

This is something that I wish we could get across more often.

Just because two knowledgeable people disagree doesn't mean what one of them says is worthless.

Simply consider what the individuals' respective expereiences are and make an educated decision for yourself.

Differing opinions is completely okay. Doug's opinion here is NOT blather. It is the voice of his experience.

When someone with no experience in these matters speaks, you should consider the source.

Here is the source is good, even if I disagree

Michael Brown

Beechnut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just because you did everything right from a normal persons perception, doesn't exclude you from prosecution. There are many case reports of peace officers & citizens having their lives and careers ruined after doing everything correct in the heat of the moment. Once they got to court, an attorney painting a picture of negligence facilitated a man-slaughter conviction.

For example, a person commits a ‘good shoot’. The prosecution alleges that this person cocked the hammer on their revolver before shooting thereby making a hair trigger situation and negligently killing the bad guy. Good guy says he didn't this time but he's done it before on the range. Jury buys into the negligence, good guy goes to jail. This example is just a variation of all the different pictures used to paint negligence.

Think you don’t need a good lawyer versed in self-defense cases and firearm fundamentals…think again.

Latest posts

Top Bottom