Deer food plots

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can usually find a wildlife blend at some co ops or ross feed and seed in El Reno. Many will have a wheat for 75+% with some alfalfa, turnip, and/or clover. If they don't have a wildlife blend ask for some feed wheat and you can use it to seed a food plot. These are usually quite cheaper than the Biologic and other hunting food plot brands.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Trust me....I've tried them all(suckered may be a better term.)
I have room and equipment to try different seed mixes over the years placed side by side next to plain old wheat. Around here, nothing beats a 50 lb sack of feed wheat (as has already been stated) with a few turnip seeds in the mix. I have used the austrian winter peas, and they do ok, but not any better than the wheat.
don't waste your money on the seed wheat. Its just been cleaned and is a certified variety. Feed wheat works great.

Hondafire

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have always had good luck with oats. Just plain ol' ever day oats. They seem to like it and it seems to be sort of hardy. I just broadcast it out after I have disced my area and then broadcast fertilizer, and cover it up. You might give it a try.

Sniper John

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I second what dennishoddy posted. On a budget, mix of wheat, oats, and turnip seed work well for me. I found Turkeys go nuts for the Turnips early, then the deer once they get established. The turnip seed goes a long way too. Something like 150,000 seeds per pound.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The turnip seed goes a long way too. Something like 150,000 seeds per pound.

You said a mouthfull there. I have a 9 acre food plot, and was using the wheat drill to get some wheat planted. Decided to put a pound of seed in on top of the wheat, and get it spread evenly. the tiny seed went to the bottom and all of it got planted in one row. There were so many turnips it choked out the wheat.:rollingla We did eat lots of turnip greens and found lots of ways to eat the turnips.:D

Okieshootist

Marksman
Reaction score
Here is a third vote for wheat. Easy to get and plant. Last few years I have used Jerry oats and had really good response. Problem here is we have so much ag. Lots of beans and corn and some milo this year with wheat being planted in late September and early October.

Latest posts

Top Bottom