Deer protection

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
You might have a loss in mileage also. A guy at work put a Ranchand on his Z71. Said he lost almost 2mpg.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry to necropost but a grille guard even ranch hands in my experience don’t do much with except get bent and in some cases make your good a mother bear to open. I prefer a full replacement front bumper ranch hands are my favorite. We have one we even made a place to carry the spare tire a 17” tire and wheel bouncing on the front across rough pastures etc and makes a great gate “bumper” on windy days. Specifically on fords the bumpers are poorly mounted add a couple hundred pounds of brush guard and your asking for trouble if you travel many rough roads. Full replacement will protect your vehicle and lights much better. IMHO at 50 plus I have hit a couple of deer and minimal damage. I hit a buzzard at well over 85 a month ago in I35 and aside from knocking the lens out of my fog light no other damage to my Tacoma. Glad I didn’t have the factory bumper for sure that morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dad had a spare tire mounted to the front of his 1980 chevy 3/4 ton truck and hit a deer at 65 MPH while pulling a little 15 foot bayliner.
The bayliner jackknifed but not far enough to bend anything.
Deer hit the tire and went into the bar ditch. Dad got control of the vehicle and only damage was a cracked blinker lens.

I know old thread. I put 3" channel iron behind my Ford bumper on my 82 E150.
and mounted a grill guard and then mounted a spare tire to that right in the middle.
The rim was the chrome Nugget style. You know the style with holes all the way around.
My MPG actually increased 2 MPG. But the ford is a strange animal.

I jacked up my ford 3" also. And the 3/4 ton was not sitting low either.
Those were home built deals and bolted and welded together.. no chance of movement.
I would push cars with the E150 no problems.

Latest posts

Top Bottom