Depression

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunnut

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've been falling deeper and deeper into a severe depression state. Some of it is PTSD related from combat. Other is just well, I don't know. Been thinking a lot about the final curtain call. I know things get better, but every time I think it might be, my depression just digs a deeper hole. No family, just have my work and that's been stressing me out even more since I can't deal with work and the depression. Been to the docs at the VA, put me on meds, was told to give it 4-6 weeks, but it's been a few months now on the pills. I know I can't be the only one that has had to deal with this. Any advice on how to climb out of this? What worked for you?

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go back to the VA at the very least. Talk therapy can work for depression, especially in groups. Talk to people with similar problems. Why not even try talking to people at the VFW? The VFW isn't the old farts club it used to be. Hang in there.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Call 1-800-273-8255

You made it home...and you owe it to those who didn't to get it together and live the life they don't get to. As one old hand put it to me once "We are livin' the dream. For us and for them." Your job isn't over...make it your mission.

I will be back in town tomorrow, PM me if you want to chat a little more in private.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dammit! PM me!
I had major issues in the 70's. Its tough, but the Brothers in Arms can help you. Talk, Talk, Talk!!!
DO NOT TRY TO GET THROUGH THIS ALONE!!!
Its a tough Journey, but it WILL get better!!

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't have the combat experience so first let me say thank you for your service. I have no idea what it must be like to return to a "normal" life after some of the experiences you've endured.

The others have had some good suggestions. I hear ads on the radio for the Wounded Warrior Project. I believe they offer assistance in the way of counseling.

I think it is a good step that you are asking for help and you are far from alone. Since I got divorced about 5 years ago, I am a different person. I had the good life and now it's all changed. I have to find things to focus on that provide therapy in one way or another. I've found that I don't have the motivation for some things that I once had. I too have a job that is complete crap other than the decent paycheck. I realize that the job is the largest factor in stressing me completely out and am in the process of looking at other options.

I'm also very afraid of many medications and have chosen to go at it alone. Sorta the "tough guy" approach though I know sometimes I'm fooling myself.

The best part: I have kiddos who depend on me and they are here half the time. Plus I see them often when they are at their mom's. My ex is a great friend too, oddly enough.

Hobbies are great. Projects are great. Friends/family are worth their weight in gold. Find some buddies to hang with and do smart things together.

In short, you're not alone and I'd bet several folks on this forum would help you out in any way they could.

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like flatwins, I haven't served and can't imagine what is it like.
Thank you for your service; you have obviously made a great sacrifice.
Talk to dennis or SMS or do what ignernt said. But hang in there and keep talking and posting. You'll find nothing but support here.
It took alot of guts to post that and I admire you for it.
You'll be in my thoughts,

Jonathan

indi

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hope you get through this. Thanks for your service. If you every wanna talk I can hold some interesting conversations, Im no shrink, I might make it worse. But just letting you know people are out there that are more than willing to lend an ear if you need. PM me if you take me on this offer I'll send you my number.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
gunnut, if you're a Christian, talk to the Man. There are answers there.

If you're not a Christian, talk to Him anyway. He listens.

Latest posts

Top Bottom