Depression

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrJeff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey Gunnut. Happened to run across your thread. You have taken the right approach in reaching out to others. You are right, others have been where you are now. I know this for a variety of reasons, but also because I work with Veterans at the VA in Oklahoma. Medicines can work wonders but there is often a trial and error to the meds. Tweaking can make a big difference. If it has been several months and your symptoms are worse, definitely contact the clinic. The good thing about depression, it can be taken care of, but the process is different for each person. As others have said before me on the post, don't give up. Help is always a visit or phone call away. The VA has your back. Please don't assume that one has to wait until the next appointment to ask for help from the VA.

Additional services can be provided with one-on-one counseling at the VA. There is also a VET Center that provides counseling around OKC. The webpage for the Vet Centers is www.vetcenter.va.gov. The Oklahoma City number is 1-877-927-8387. The concept of the VET Centers are generally more relaxed and geared toward counseling. This would collaborate well with medication management at the VA. If you need contact with someone at the VA in OKC, contact me.

Also, I encourage any Veteran to check out the VA website on mental health: www.mentalhealth.va.gov There is a good deal of useful information on a variety of topics. In addition, there is always someone to talk with by calling the VA Crisis Line at 1-800-273-TALK or (8255), just press option 1 for Veterans. This center is totally run by VA employees 24/7. You can even chat with a trained person instead of talking on the phone. This center is particularly important if a Veteran is feeling like hope is hardly there.

Feel free to PM with any questions. I'm a Vet serving Vets, so I stand by what the VA can do. Always glad to help.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Man i feel for ya. There is no magic remedy. Dealing with depression is a process. You did the first steps, got it diagnosed. Take each day as a separate day with its own issues. Hang out with good close buddies or family. Try and stay positive, its not same shiz different day, its a new day with new challanges.

Go back to VA, ask for a different dose or med. The VA MDs see an treat alot of ptsd patients, DO NOT allow them to let you fall thru the cracks in the system.

Do not drink to get drunk, stay away from drugs.

Lastly, take us up on an offer to talk or help. This is not a burden you have to bear alone.

Tomorrow brings a different day.

Take DRJeff up on his offer to help.

Last edited:

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Listen to DrJeff, thats what he does at the VA. Guys sounds like we need to have a luncheon or a get together. Please if anyone feels the need to talk when things seem to much to bare, call me. Any time day or night. Don't know if I can help but I'm a good listener. You are not alone. 405-503-2025 Jimmy

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Prayers sent, I've got two friends who've been through your situation and were able to put it behind them. It was hard, took some time, and they didn't do it alone. Don't give up!!

MrShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
May sound stupid but you should try to brighten your life up. Literally. Calm colors, bright colors, and stuff like that. For instance... I painted my living room blue, my cell phone is yellow, we have a blue and pink chair, etc... It's looks dumb but not only does things like that inspire a good mood and they are humorous. Lol.

Enjoy the little things in life my friend.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
4 more pieces of advice:

1). Obvious you have guts, don't be afraid to go get professional help. Don't let that scare you. Just go do it. If you had diabetes, you'd take something to level your blood sugar, nothing wrong with taking something to level out your moods.

2). What Mr. Shooter says about "brightening" your life is true, also true is cleaning up your surroundings. In other words, if it is messy and cluttered, clean it up.

3). Work out. Aside from feeling good about yourself and your appearence, working out fires off "feel good" endorphins in your brain. I hurt my back several years ago and put on a ton of weight. I've knocked right at 90lbs of in the last 18 months. I have another 90 lbs to go, but I feel a lot better than I did.

4). Get a piece of paper and write out your long term goals, then write out how you plan to get there. Actually do it. Write it out long hand. My cousin gave me this advice years ago and I did it despite thinking it was stupid and campy. It changed my life. Literally, in 3 years, I went from being at lowest point to finishing law school and knocking back big bucks my first year out. That was 14 years ago. Haven't slowed done since.

Anyway, that is Uncle JB's prescription.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Know this: There are people out here in the world who care about you and what's caused you to be where you are now. You haven't met some of these people yet and unless you try, you won't.

Depression, just like anything else in life, is temporary. You owe it to yourself to see what's waiting on the other side of it for you.

Get out of the house. Sitting there alone will drive you crazy. Go to the range, go fishing, go see a movie or go to a museum. Just do something. Doing nothing is the wrong answer. Don't have friends? Make some!

You have my prayers and you have my support. PM me anytime I'm on line and I'll respond.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I also work at the VA. Trust me bro, you are not alone in this battle. I'm on the benefit side but there is so much medical services the VA provides to help you this. Get back in touch with the doctor and go talk. It will make a world of a difference. If you dont' have a dog, consider getting one. My dog has no idea what i'm talkin about but he sure does listen good and always brightens the day. They use dogs to help cheer up troops all the time. It really works. PM me if you need anything.

Latest posts

Top Bottom