Depression

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Am I the only one that gets depressed this time of year, don't feel like doing anything because it's too durn cold to be comfortable. Takes $$ to heat up my shop and even then my feet freeze. Have 3 or 4 months of this crap to look forward to, fight colds and maybe the flew, cold makes old bones hurt. Just not a whole lot to be happy about right now...

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You're probably not the only one.

I look at it like this, the grass is still green, for the most part, but I don't have to mow.
I don't have to run the heat or AC in the house.
We seldom have tornadoes this time of year.

Thanksgiving is coming up. Mmmmmmm

J.C. Kerns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Might be what's called "Seasonal Depressive Disorder". Pretty common among people who live and work in stressful areas. Then this time of year I've heard it said that, "Living in a gray world causes gray moods".

I deal with depression from poor health, forced retirement due to the poor health, and major loss of income from the retirement, then the radical change in life-style due to no longer having the schedule and responsibility of employment.

My doc has put me on an antidepressant called Welbutrin. It seems to be helping me cope, but it's no miracle by any means. It's also not an SSRI with the side effects they sometimes bring.

Just a thought. Depression is just sometimes a logical response to depressing things. But it's worth mentioning to your physician.

JC

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
For me its the short daylight hours. I hate that. I dont get depressed but also seems like I get nothing done around the house because its dark so early. In the summer, I get home at 5:30 and spend the next 3 hours outside doing stuff I enjoy. Now I get home and its almost dark. I dont mind the cold until its time to crawl out of my warm flannel sheets at 5:30am

Waltherfan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Count your blessings. I live in the frozen wasteland of Nebraska. You'll enjoy 10 more minutes of sunlight this evening than I will and your low temp tonight is 10 degrees warmer than mine.
Plus it's supposed to snow here Monday.
Now I'm depressed :cry11:

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just try to stay busy.
Never really suffered from it, but I can see it happening.
I'm a mod on another forum.
Every winter I see the results in some of the northern boys post.
It's obvious they need more fiber.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm the exact opposite. I HATE summer. With a passion. I work outside or in non-climate controlled buildings. I've been so hot in Oklahoma it was nearly a medical emergency. Never been that cold here. Summer is memories of my heart pounding and sweating until you stop and your skin gets clammy and feeling sick and being tired for 3 months. Plus all the grass and working on equipment in the heat on top of work.

I get depressed (more than usual) and generally turn in to a lethargic ******* in the summer. I drag in after work and have zero energy. I get short-tempered. Some years it gets so bad I come close to up and moving. I would love to live in the mountains or the PNW but Tulsa is damm near 1/4th the cost of living.

I love winter, rain, snow, and grey skies. I guess somebody has to. I wouldn't like a Minnesota or Dakota winter, but ours is fine. I sleep better. In the summer when it gets dark so late it's a given I'll be up until midnight before I can sleep. I've been going to bed at 10 and waking before my alarm. I love going home and building a fire every night. I'm in a much better mood and have more energy.

The summer of 2012 really pushed my depression into high gear.

My family is mostly the same way. We all hate heat and many of us work outside. I have pale skin and blue eyes. I'm not made for heat.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
It hits me in January. Holidays are over. Deer season is over. Everything is brown n dull. Only plus is when it snows and I can hunt coyotes. Or we get an ice storm an lose power.

On the plus side, it lasts a month then I can go trout fishing in Feb, things start to green up, crappie start biting, turkeys start gobbling and morels start popping........then it's green and Tornado season.

Latest posts

Top Bottom