DIY carpet shampoo w/rented equipment?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NationalMatch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does it do the job? Or is the equipment so worn out it's worse than nothing?

If carpet shampooing is good with rented equipment, what pitfalls do I want to avoid? What do I want to include?

Note: it's not "whole room" stuff. It's "traffic pattern" stuff. And, no pets, no kids, no friends. I.e., no stains. Just matted down carpet in traffic patterns.

Edited to add: When I "google" the subject, I get automated responses by carpet cleaning companies and how much can go wrong unless I hire them. But, I trust OSA. Sort of.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In my experience the equipment is usually fine and it does a good job of pulling the dirt out of the carpet. As far as restoring it to like new after you’ve let it get to the point where the fibers are all matted? I’d say keep going over it with the brush/beater-bar and it will get better but don’t be looking for “like new” results.

Chaparral

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It is only my opinion but, experience showed me once the carpet is matted down the fibers are breaking down and it will not recover.

I have used the commercial cleaning equipment and it is satisfactory. Bought a cheap Bissel and it was slightly less but cost me less to operate after second use.

Had good results with the low sudsing modern laundry detergents just did a second pass with only water.

When in my own home all carpets came out and tile and pergo went down.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I concur

The "rentals" do a pretty job. The key is not to wait to clean. After cleaning go over with just clean water, twice is better. Residual shampoo will cause carpet to get dirty faster.

We got a Bissel home unit and use it 4-6 times a year. The "cost" is now negligible and carpet maintains good condition. Cleaning is not much more than regular vacuuming.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sometimes the rentals are filthy from previous rentals. I’d go with a commercial cleaning company, I’ve seen Stanley Carpet Cleaners a lot in my neighborhood.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I concur

The "rentals" do a pretty job. The key is not to wait to clean. After cleaning go over with just clean water, twice is better. Residual shampoo will cause carpet to get dirty faster.

We got a Bissel home unit and use it 4-6 times a year. The "cost" is now negligible and carpet maintains good condition. Cleaning is not much more than regular vacuuming.
^^^ This is the way. Get it done professionally and buy a Bissell so you can run it every couple of months and keep it up. As soon as my mom is gone the carpet will be too.

NationalMatch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
^^^ This is the way. Get it done professionally and buy a Bissell so you can run it every couple of months and keep it up. As soon as my mom is gone the carpet will be too.
Based upon the comments, I lowered my Simplicity vacuum one notch and the carpet looks fine (after I vacuumed). But after I walk on it, the fibers are tamped down again. At 6'6"/229 pounds, maybe that's inevitable?

But, which Bissell do you own? You're talking shampooer? Not vacuum?

Latest posts

Top Bottom