do Hypertech power Programmers work

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h8ns8n

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
anyone have any experience with them or the bully dog chips? i have an o4 chevy 5.3 and was wondering if performance and mileage can be improved with these type add ons and is there any negatives to them? thanks

4play

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dont expect too much out of a programmer, they are a little handy if you have changed your tire size or axle ratio. You can also change the shift firmness, shift schedule, speed governor and RPM limiter. But on the engine performance part, unless you want to use 91 octane fuel, you wont really notice much gain, and its minimal too with 91.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No experience with Hypertech, but I do run a modified Edge Evolution and couldnt be happier. You really arent gaining massive HP, but the change in shift points create noticeable acceleration gains on the turd that Ford calls the Triton 5.4. I usually rock Stage 2 so I can run poor mans gas.

zseese

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The guys on my F150 forum recommend custom tunes from VMP, Troyer, or PHP, I think they normally come on SCT programmers...probably work on chebby's too

dieseltech09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a hyperjunk tuner on my 98 chevy and it the trans never would shift right with it. I now run a custom tune from fastchip.com out of Tulsa and it works great. However I hear the owner is having some health problems. Contact moboost on here im pretty sure he has the software to dynotune your chevy which is the the best way to go

BigD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would run like hell from bully trash. SCT makes some wicked tunes. Performance and milage can both improove. It all depends on how you drive. I run a predator on my dodge and have it turned all the way up. Power is great and my milage is good as well.

DPI

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
anyone have any experience with them or the bully dog chips? i have an o4 chevy 5.3 and was wondering if performance and mileage can be improved with these type add ons and is there any negatives to them? thanks

I use a Bullydog programmer on my 2002 2500hd 4x4 6.0L.

I adjusted the speedometer for a bigger tire size, I firmed up the transmission shifts and raised the shift points. I also set the programmer to tow/haul.

I average about 14 mpg with 75% highway driving. The performance seems better, but how do you really tell by the seat of your pants? The only performance upgrade I have done is a Pro-Flow muffler with no other changes to the exhaust (I kept the existing pipes and converters).

The shift points and firmness are a definite improvement. However, when you push the tow/haul button, it raises the shift points to 3000-3500 which is a little too high.

I have a friend with the same truck and he gets about 7-9 mpg for comparison.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I did a custom tune on my '03 Silverado SS when I had it, did a PCM swap, used PCM4LESS. The tune I selected was a performance tune, really woke the truck up, also caused me to use WAY more fuel(foot in it all the time).

The tune also eliminated the top speed limiter.... :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom