Do we need still need the "press"?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So it's ok for art to depict the killing of a president, but when the president acts like a professional wrestler, which we all know is fake, all hell breaks loose.

Do we really need the press anymore? They certainly think we need them and they want us to believe they are above the rest of us. I say no we don't need someone's opinion on the news. Technically, with the current technology, we are all the press now.

Reporters Committee condemns President Trump's statement of violence against the press

Press Release | July 2, 2017

On Sunday, President Donald Trump made a public statement on Twitter that glorified physical violence against members of the press.

Bruce Brown, executive director of the Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press, made the following statement:

"We condemn the president's threat of physical violence against journalists. This tweet is beneath the office of the presidency. Sadly, it is not beneath this president.

"No one should be threatened with physical harm for doing their jobs. Journalists are your neighbors, they're your friends. Journalists perform a critical function in our society, one the Founding Fathers felt was so necessary that they enshrined it first in the Bill of Rights.

"They wrote that 'Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.'

"Freedom of the press is a cornerstone of our democracy. The press are the people's window into the halls of power, and most importantly, they are the people's check on that power. When the president attacks the press, he attacks the people."

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So it's ok for art to depict the killing of a president, but when the president acts like a professional wrestler, which we all know is fake, all hell breaks loose.

Do we really need the press anymore? They certainly think we need them and they want us to believe they are above the rest of us. I say no we don't need someone's opinion on the news. Technically, with the current technology, we are all the press now.

Reporters Committee condemns President Trump's statement of violence against the press

Press Release | July 2, 2017

On Sunday, President Donald Trump made a public statement on Twitter that glorified physical violence against members of the press.

Bruce Brown, executive director of the Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press, made the following statement:

"We condemn the president's threat of physical violence against journalists. This tweet is beneath the office of the presidency. Sadly, it is not beneath this president.

"No one should be threatened with physical harm for doing their jobs. Journalists are your neighbors, they're your friends. Journalists perform a critical function in our society, one the Founding Fathers felt was so necessary that they enshrined it first in the Bill of Rights.

"They wrote that 'Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.'

"Freedom of the press is a cornerstone of our democracy. The press are the people's window into the halls of power, and most importantly, they are the people's check on that power. When the president attacks the press, he attacks the people."

There is no press any more, long before it became a propaganda machine Reporters were breaking major stories and having their lives ruined as a result. Even when it was far less biased it wasn't fee, read about any reporter that broke any major story, be it tobacco, concussions in the NFL, Iran contra, etc etc ....most of those reporters were ruined by breaking the big one

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We damn well better need the press. Can't just pick and choose the Constitutional rights we support and as stated above, the cornerstone is freedom of speech and the press.
POTUS needs to grow up.
I couldn't stand Obama and Hillary would have been a nightmare, but Trump is losing his mind.
He's acting like a 14 year old girl, tweeting.
I voted for the idiot because I saw no other choice from the GOP.
There's some very smart people here. Above my curve indeed, and some of you guys/girls have to agree that Trump is embarrassing at times.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
We damn well better need the press. Can't just pick and choose the Constitutional rights we support and as stated above, the cornerstone is freedom of speech and the press.
POTUS needs to grow up.
I couldn't stand Obama and Hillary would have been a nightmare, but Trump is losing his mind.
He's acting like a 14 year old girl, tweeting.
I voted for the idiot because I saw no other choice from the GOP.
There's some very smart people here. Above my curve indeed, and some of you guys/girls have to agree that Trump is embarrassing at times.
I think we need to define what is entertainment, political activism, and the press.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I want to know, exactly, who do you get your news? (this is a broad brush I'm painting with)
Most people just see the crap on the internet and that's nuts!
There was a time that a reporter would lose his/her livelihood for a misquote.
Now, truth or not, if you don't agree with them or they ask a question that should be asked, everyone yells FAKE NEWS!
POTUS has put more fake crap out there than anyone. Hell he may have invented it.
During the election, if you asked the same question to Hillary and Trump, the Hillary question was not enough and the Trump question was liberal bias. Same went the other way.
I learned one thing from being a ref. Every call I made, half the crowd thought it was great and the other half though I was blind.
This blaming the media for everything is BS.
Exactly what kind of news do you want and from whom?
Nothing wrong with asking hard questions. You're elected to take the heat and answer the questions. If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Latest posts

Top Bottom