Do we need still need the "press"?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lasher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i can think of several journalists that could have used a sound thrashing. beginning with walter cronkite stating the war was lost just after tet where the nva was so thoroughly mauled they retreated and licked their wounds for almost 2 years, the vc almost ceased to exist and were not effective ever again, lying bastard cronkite. dan rather another lying bastard. no 1st amendment cause has happened to go full on drama queen, "congress shall make no law" has not happened. the president, any president, can call the press out for factual lies. we don't need a window into the white house, we need a backhoe in the cellars of congress.

once the supreme court nominee was seated i am content. if president trump does nothing else i am content. i would be more content if term limits were enacted for congress,,,pipe dream that one. william buckley where are you when we need you

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The only thing he is trumping, is his chance for a second term. The President and I have about the same chances of being sworn in, in January 2021.
Ah...how soon we forget the 2016 campaign when the same statements were made by journalists, commentators, and the POTUS. They laughed and mocked the thought that Trump would win.
We need a free press. We need a press with integrity and an electorate that can tell the difference between news, reporting with an agenda, and political commentary.

While I would prefer the POTUS not do stupid things that distract from more important issues, the real story here is not Trump, but the press.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think we need to define what is entertainment, political activism, and the press.

Well, for our own personal edification, yes. But for the purposes of legality, no, "the press" as used in the Constitution didn't refer to organized major news media, it referred to every swinging Richard who chose to print out a handbill to spout his political views. The 1st Amendment protects everyone who does, or could choose to print/publish, in whatever media, his or her political views. This needs to be viewed as expansively as possible because the alternative is to have bureaucrats start parsing the Constitution to decide who is the "real" press deserving of 1st Amendment protection.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ah...how soon we forget the 2016 campaign when the same statements were made by journalists, commentators, and the POTUS. They laughed and mocked the thought that Trump would win.
We need a free press. We need a press with integrity and an electorate that can tell the difference between news, reporting with an agenda, and political commentary.

While I would prefer the POTUS not do stupid things that distract from more important issues, the real story here is not Trump, but the press.
ah...how quickly Trump has turned off many of us that supported and voted for him. In only 5 months, I have made up my mind that I won't vote for him again.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm glad we have those seven dirty words that you can't use on TV. If those words weren't taboo, they'd get used routinely. Every other maximum value expressive word has been used so much that they have all become meaningless and valueless. For a real crisis, there is nothing left for the press to use to express an emotion where one might be needed. At least we still have the seven dirty words available for use in private!

There needs to be a resurgence of nothing but the facts to restore civility and trust in the media. Oops! Did I just use media, civility and trust in the same sentence? Wishful thinking.

Woody

Latest posts

Top Bottom