Do you use AR-15 or AK-47 for deer hunting?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenksshooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone using either of these for deer or hog hunting? I'd like to know what you think of either of these if you have had expereince. Your opinions would be helpful. I know there will be tons of people wanting to pile on here, but experinced opinions would be the most helpful. I have both and I trying to decide if I should use either for these two type of game.

Thanks!

Toney

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have not taken deer with the 762-39 have taken a couple with a little handy rifle in 223 it planted both in their tracks.

I think i'd probbly have to use both on deer i do'nt really know about using 223 on hogs.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have killed several deer with the AR-15. Does fine if you place the bullet well. Shot one at 150 yrds with a soft point and the bullet went up the rib cage and broke the deers back. Entry hole was mid high on the ribcage. Since then I shoot them right behind the ear and limit my shot distance. I know several people who let their kids shoot deer with the .223 though and seem to do fine shooting them in the chest. I probably did not have a good bullet with the first experience I had.

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shot one deer with a .223 when I was 14 or 15. Perfect heart shot. He took about 5 steps and collapsed. I don't see any problem with using the AR, but shot placement is key.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Shot 3 does last year with the ar in .223 behind the leg. Nothing ran more than 40 yards.
Shot 4 does with a bow and none went more than 40 yds.

Shot 1 with a .30 Savage. Ran 30-40 yds

Shot three with MZ. None ran further than 40 yds.

shot a buck with my X bow this morning. ran around 40 yds.

Are you starting to see a pattern ?

They are dead, but just don't know it.

Btw, I hunt on a DMAP where its allowed.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hunting buddy regularly uses his Mini-30. It's not an AK but does shoot the 7.62x39. Soft point round. Kills them graveyard dead. Range less than a hundred yds.

Latest posts

Top Bottom