Do you use AR-15 or AK-47 for deer hunting?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff3C

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shot 3 does last year with the ar in .223 behind the leg. Nothing ran more than 40 yards.
Shot 4 does with a bow and none went more than 40 yds.

Shot 1 with a .30 Savage. Ran 30-40 yds

Shot three with MZ. None ran further than 40 yds.

shot a buck with my X bow this morning. ran around 40 yds.

Are you starting to see a pattern ?

They are dead, but just don't know it.

Btw, I hunt on a DMAP where its allowed.

You gotta tell me what broadhead your using and what's your secret?

I have shot many deer (25-30) with my bow and while I have found them all but one I think it would be safe to say NONE went under 40 yards. I've shot them in the heart, single lung, double lung, fixed blades (Slick Tricks, Muzzy's, Silverflames), 2 blade mech (Rage, G5 Tekkans), 3 blade mech (Rage, Spitfires, Grim Reapers). It just seems like they never drop in their tracks or within 40 yards for that matter.

I'm shooting a bow with plenty of KE (approx 85 lbs/ft) and usually have a clean pass through but they all (buck or doe) seem to run at least 60-100 yards, sometimes more, before expiring.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I have shot many deer (25-30) with my bow and while I have found them all but one I think it would be safe to say NONE went under 40 yards. I've shot them in the heart, single lung, double lung, fixed blades (Slick Tricks, Muzzy's, Silverflames), 2 blade mech (Rage, G5 Tekkans), 3 blade mech (Rage, Spitfires, Grim Reapers). It just seems like they never drop in their tracks or within 40 yards for that matter.

I'm shooting a bow with plenty of KE (approx 85 lbs/ft) and usually have a clean pass through but they all (buck or doe) seem to run at least 60-100 yards, sometimes more, before expiring.

The last deer I shot with a bow ran about 20 yards. 31" carbon arrow, 100 grain Steel Force Premium 4 blade broadhead. Approximately 400 grain total weight, if I recall correctly. I know it chrono's at mid 270's. Hit in the shoulder blade on the near side, blew through the other side and stuck in the dirt about 4 inches. When I cleaned it, the shoulders had shock all through them. Wasted a lot of meat. My dad told me I needed to turn my bow down. LOL!!

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Red bandana around the forehead, combat boots, sheathed Ka-Bar on BDU pants & glistening bare chest?

And, what does spicy pickled cabbage got to do with dead animals? :confused: (I like kimchee)

You asked about burying deer in a graveyard. I attempted a joke (albeit a very weak joke) mentioning kimchee since it is made by burying it for a while. Dennis started puking.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You asked about burying deer in a graveyard. I attempted a joke (albeit a very weak joke) mentioning kimchee since it is made by burying it for a while. Dennis started puking.

There you went and said the evil kimchee word again......:puke::puke:

FYI The folks in Korea that lived in the city and couldn't bury it, kept it on their roofs in big teracotta crocks for almost 6 months to ferment and rot in the sun before eating it. Hence the putrid odor permeating the whole citys.

Thank God I served on a mountain top Microwave site. Ration runs to the post in the ville were gut bombs.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

The last two years I've used bolt cutter broadheads in my xbow. 350 fps 150 grain. It rips through them so fast, that they will run a little ways, stop, look around, take off, get the wobbly legs, and drop.
Like you, before loosing my ability to use a vertical bow, I've killed many deer with different bows and broadheads. Can't say I've had one go a hundred yds, but close. Speed seems to be a factor? Nothing really fancy about the broadhead.
Never dropped one in its tracks either, although its entirely possible with a shot to the central nervous system.

Latest posts

Top Bottom