Do You Want Constitutional Carry in Oklahoma?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you want Constitutional Carry in Oklahoma?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TallPrairie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't feel strongly pro or con about permitless carry. Not because I don't care about the issue, but because I see tradeoffs.

The idea of some famililarization and instruction before carrying in public is rather reasonable, as long as we stay firmly within the framework of a "shall issue" not "may issue" law.

I think shall-issue permit laws with background checks and live-fire requirements are consistent with the Second Amendment (and it is overwhelmingly probable that even pro-gun judges are going to agree). These laws are one of the few genuine examples of state gun regulations that you could really say tend to promote a "well regulated militia," i.e. an arms-bearing public that is peaceable and squared away, while being able to exercise their rights in practice. (Instead of how the "well regulated" phrase is usually abused, as a shorthand for restricting the exercise of the right as much as possible).

I would, though, support keeping a very tight rein on the fee structure for a carry license. Maybe even make means-tested "scholarships" available to help people with lower incomes afford the license and its renewals. The financial-barrier, class discrimination argument against the permit requirement has force.

I don't think permitless carry should be as high a priority as some other reforms to our carry laws, such as amending the state constitutional RKBA or changing the prohibited places statutes so private entities like tenants and event holders on public property cannot ban carrying. If our tax dollars paid for the property, and it's not a genuinely sensitive location (like a jail or something), then companies that choose to hold events on public property should not be able to post "no guns" signs.

The current SDA license requirement provides leverage in arguing for loosening the prohibited-places laws, because we can say, why would you want to ban these people, they have already been vetted. We would sacrifice some of that leverage if we go to permitless carry.

I also would not support permitless carry if the politics of moving a bill mean we have to keep (or even strengthen, as in some states) our insulting duty-to-notify-LEO law. That needs to go. Basically, as between permitless carry with a fair number of restrictions, or shall-issue IF it meant that once you get the license you have extremely few restrictions, I would prefer shall-issue. People with SDAs should be able to carry darn near anywhere a LEO can.

All that said, I get where people are coming from in this thread, and why many think it is an important reform. I have a lot of respect for your position. GTG in particular made a strong bottom-line point above: we already have the examples of several states (including a big one, Arizona) that have had permitless carry for a while now, and they seem to be doing fine. Once our neighbor Kansas has tried no-permit carry for a while, that will be a very important data point too.

Permitless carry wouldn't bother me (except as it might lead to more place restrictions); I'm just not convinced it should be a priority.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't feel strongly pro or con about permitless carry. Not because I don't care about the issue, but because I see tradeoffs.

The idea of some famililarization and instruction before carrying in public is rather reasonable, as long as we stay firmly within the framework of a "shall issue" not "may issue" law.

I think shall-issue permit laws with background checks and live-fire requirements are consistent with the Second Amendment (and it is overwhelmingly probable that even pro-gun judges are going to agree). These laws are one of the few genuine examples of state gun regulations that you could really say tend to promote a "well regulated militia," i.e. an arms-bearing public that is peaceable and squared away, while being able to exercise their rights in practice. (Instead of how the "well regulated" phrase is usually abused, as a shorthand for restricting the exercise of the right as much as possible).

I would, though, support keeping a very tight rein on the fee structure for a carry license. Maybe even make means-tested "scholarships" available to help people with lower incomes afford the license and its renewals. The financial-barrier, class discrimination argument against the permit requirement has force.

I don't think permitless carry should be as high a priority as some other reforms to our carry laws, such as amending the state constitutional RKBA or changing the prohibited places statutes so private entities like tenants and event holders on public property cannot ban carrying. If our tax dollars paid for the property, and it's not a genuinely sensitive location (like a jail or something), then companies that choose to hold events on public property should not be able to post "no guns" signs.

The current SDA license requirement provides leverage in arguing for loosening the prohibited-places laws, because we can say, why would you want to ban these people, they have already been vetted. We would sacrifice some of that leverage if we go to permitless carry.

I also would not support permitless carry if the politics of moving a bill mean we have to keep (or even strengthen, as in some states) our insulting duty-to-notify-LEO law. That needs to go. Basically, as between permitless carry with a fair number of restrictions, or shall-issue IF it meant that once you get the license you have extremely few restrictions, I would prefer shall-issue. People with SDAs should be able to carry darn near anywhere a LEO can.

All that said, I get where people are coming from in this thread, and why many think it is an important reform. I have a lot of respect for your position. GTG in particular made a strong bottom-line point above: we already have the examples of several states (including a big one, Arizona) that have had permitless carry for a while now, and they seem to be doing fine. Once our neighbor Kansas has tried no-permit carry for a while, that will be a very important data point too.

Permitless carry wouldn't bother me (except as it might lead to more place restrictions); I'm just not convinced it should be a priority.

Bad guys already carry without a permit. They always have. They always will. Constitution carry will only mean more good guys will carry.

Woody

airpowmech

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I kind of agree with this before we work on permit less carry we need to get where we can carry opened up more. It seems so few places your allow to carry around here I wonder why I even carry. I am from Pennsylvania and there you can carry any where except the state house and places with jails. Private businesses can post but like here it is not enforceable.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Because theyre not concerned enough to just go get a permit?

Concealed is concealed

That's right. Concealed is concealed, permit or not.

Maybe they are more concerned with abiding the Constitution than to capitulate to unconstitutional acts of law. That doesn't mean they are not concerned and just carry anyway. The only reason I got a permit was to avoid the hassles of being caught carrying without the unconstitutional requirement to have a permit.

If a judge agrees that the requirements TallPrairie mentioned are constitutional is a prime example of how far off track said judge is from the Constitution. "Shall not be (whatever word you wish to insert)," means, "Don't do it."

Insert the word "murdered." "Human Beings shall not be murdered." Are there any restrictions - what someone might consider to be reasonable - that would be appropriate to be placed upon that prohibition on murder?

The Second Amendment is law that is above all other law any legislature might create. Regardless of the efficacy of any learning and practical training such as I took for my own benefit, none of it can be made a prerequisite to keep and bear arms.

Woody

Last edited:

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
True, but a law that can be manipulated, dis cussed, dissected, legalized to suit any purposed.....well you get it

Morals demand a Man must protect His Family, regardless of the law....If your so inclined
Small price to pay, inconvenience at best, to carry to protect ones ....property, Family, Lively hood
Belief is , They are concerned.......And just carry anyway!!!
Shall not be infringed........

inkedmongo

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
As we speak I can legally go in and purchase a firearm with no problems, yet the OSBI is telling me I am not eligible for a concealed carry license for up to 3 years because of a dismissed case that ended with a 991c expungement over a charge I wasn't even guilty of at that. So according to them they can run the very same background check for free when I go to buy a gun and it clears just fine, yet they want to tell me I have to wait 3 years to carry one outside of my property and charge me to do that. If I can buy it, I should be able to carry it, and I shouldn't have to pay anyone to do it.

The reason I stand behind Constitutional Carry being passed is simple, because it's our right to do it. Criminals don't follow the legal steps, so why make it that much harder for those that care about respecting all of the laws to continue having our rights?

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We should have it, period. I'm tired of people saying we need to take a training course and do this and do that for a dang permit. I know many people who have taken the course and carry that know nothing of the law and the very gun they are carrying. The class and the permit doesn't all the sudden make you an expert on the law or the gun. It is our responsibility to know both. I don't need a class or a permit to know how to carry. And where it is legal to do so. It is just a way to make us pay the state money. That is it. And I also agree, I can go in and buy any gun I want and be out in less than 20 minutes. Yet I had to wait 62 days back when I got my permit. Makes a lot of sense. I know they do a more thorough investigation but still. Our founding fathers didn't make it where you had to have a permit to own or carry a gun. That was your right as an American. It should be the same way today. Criminals will never follow the law.

Latest posts

Top Bottom