Does anyone have all four...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
So I have a 686, 4 inch, with the lock. What is the issue? It isn’t a problem for me just ugly, but is there another reason to dislike the gun? Not trying to high Jack the thread, but my 360 pd also has it. So if there is reason for concern I’d like to know.
It's a personal preference for me. I'm nearly 62 and a bit old school. I hate what is referred to by many as the Hillary hole.

I say it is the hole where the soul leaks out of a S&W revolver.

I have owned only one S&W with the lock and I immediately removed the internal locking mechanism.

There are plugs sold to fill the hole left from removing the lock but it's just not for me.

YMMV

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll take a new 686 plus (7 shooter), 3 inch, no lock, with forged trigger and hammer for $500 Alex.

I like the newer frame with the cylinder stop built in and the newer rear sight that uses one of the scope mount holes for the sight mounting screw.

I always looked at the 586/686 as S&W’s answer to the Colt Python.
And the S&W blew the python away hands down!

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I have a 686, 4 inch, with the lock. What is the issue? It isn’t a problem for me just ugly, but is there another reason to dislike the gun? Not trying to high Jack the thread, but my 360 pd also has it. So if there is reason for concern I’d like to know.
The issue is it is something that is not needed, and for us in the older crowd that was buying and shooting before the idea was even conceived, it feels like a slap in the face the way it is.

Now if it was made optional and they deducted the cost of the internal lock from the purchase price, I would not care!

Personally I believe it hurts them in sales from the generations of people like me.

Disclaimer;
I dont like pinned and recessed either. The recess is just a nasty place for crud to accumulate. Harder to clean!

Dont like nickle plate too. I am not a Gangsta! Lol

And a N frame in anything other than 41 magnum 44, or 45 colt is just shameful!

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
...or more?

I've always wanted a 4" 686 and would really like to have the 681, 586, and 581 to go with it. As a bonus the nickel 586 would be nice to have also.

So does anyone here have them all?
This thread hurts a little bit. In college I had a Nickle 586. Bought it for about $400 back in CA. Brought it to school at OSU and asa typical college knucklehead I needed some extra cash. I sold it to one of my rich fraturnity brothers from TX. A couple years later I asked if he would sell it back and he said, Nope!. It was a beauty and biggest firearms regret I've had in my life.

Latest posts

Top Bottom