Don’t laugh… wolves in Oklahoma?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jlingle

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Okay y’all don’t make fun of me for asking this….. but I’ve been told by 2 different people in the last month that they believe they’ve seen wolves in southwest oklahoma. I’ve never known there to be wolves anywhere around, but I’ve been wrong about other things before. The most recent report I heard, was that a guy saw what he believed were 2 wolves by highway 62 west of Lawton.

What do y’all think? Are they full of it?

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m always suspicious of claims made like this. There’s a slight possibility, but I think that it was probably large coyotes or possibly large dogs. I have a Great Pyrenees/Anatolian Shepherd mix that I could see some idiot thinking it was a wolf if it was out running around in the country.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Possible. Red Wolfs have be recorded fairly recently in the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge. They are a cross between other wolf breeds and coyotes. Were numerous at one time in Oklahoma but were pretty much wiped out. Government released a few breeding pairs back into the environment hoping they would reproduce. Not working well at this time.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Probably 20 years ago, there was one in Haskell Co. it was running on the river between Hoyt and Whitefield. Everyone who reported it was accused of being crazy. Someone 3D Ed up killing it and they had th3 DNA tested. Turned out to be a wolf hybrid that had gone feral. So it was a wolf, like 97%, but had been someone’s pet at some point.

Latest posts

Top Bottom