Don’t laugh… wolves in Oklahoma?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most people don't believe we have cougars in Oklahoma. I have seen them, and the state wildlife Dept, has 42 confirmed cougar sightings in OK, , sense 2002!!! The confirmation they used, was photos, and dead animals hit by cars, trains, etc. Wolves cover a wide range, and could easily have moved from areas where they stocked, in 20/30 years.
OH YES!!! there are definitely cougars in oklahoma. I saw one at the post office the other day.

Almost Jack Burton

Not the real Jack Burton but close.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Probably just a sasquatch or skunk apes pet that got out of the den and went on a short adventure.

But in all seriousness I seen a mountain lion twice around Mt. Pocono Pa when I lived there and people flat out called me a lair, about a month or so after I had seen it/them the news released footage of a pair that lived near Camel Back ski resort on the Wildlife refuge area.
So although not probable it could be true.

L.C.

👮🏻RETIRED L.E.O.👮🏻
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
While deer hunting years ago I saw a coyote at a distance that at first I thought it was a German Sheppard, that's how large it was, looking at it through binos I could see it was a coyote, largest coyote I have ever seen. As far as large cats I have seen cougars a number of times.
As far as wolves go I have not seen one but I would not discount it either, you just never know anymore.

TerryP

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife was officed at the fairgrounds in Tulsa they had a taxidermy mount of a red wolf on display for all to see that was taken by a deer hunter in the tahlequah area.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Most folks don't pay attention to coyote characteristics when they do see one to know that there are pales and reds and mixes, and naked from mange. When a pale shows up where they're not common, the "wolf sightings" start up the rumor mills. From all the dozens and dozen I've trapped and called over the years I don't think I've ever had one break the 50lb mark and it was huge for a coyote. Small adult wolves are 20-30 lbs heavier with larger ones being 100lbs heavier, that's a huge weight and size difference on a canine. Out of all of those just a hand full of pales.

PiedmontGuy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most idiots wouldn't know a wolf from a calico cat. I have been hearing this stupid drivel from these morons for decades. In Southeastern, OK a big dog coyote is 40 pounds. A 150-200 pound wolf would be rather obvious to determine.
I would agree with you if you are comparing our coyotes to wolves in Alaska, Canada, or anywhere up north. They're bigger/heavier because they have to survive the winter. But of course the deer are heavier up there as well just so they can survive the snow/cold. However, the wolves in similar climates to Oklahoma are much lighter weight. The Mexican Gray Wolf in NM and AZ only gets up between 60 to 80 pounds, which isn't that big of a weight difference from our health 45 pound coyote.

Latest posts

Top Bottom