Don’t laugh… wolves in Oklahoma?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think you could be right, their sly devils just like DC.

F6961AEC-4866-4CA5-85BB-BAFED2008C53.jpeg

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I seen a pair of red wolves on the kiamichi river many moons ago and 3 wolves bedded down behind me in the potato hills. It was near a guy that had some hybrids so they could have been his out running around. Kinda spooky when all you have with you is a muzzleloader.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Doesn’t seem likely, but it is plausible. Especially with the feds reintroducing them. Wolves can travel great distances, so it’s not out of the question.

ETA:
https://wolf.org/wolf-info/basic-wolf-info/wolf-faqs/#toggle-id-24
So, did some slight digging, apparently wolves can travel up to 50 miles a day. Yellowstone is roughly 1,000 miles away. So, in a month of travel or so, they could be here. Interesting.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This was a picture I caught on trailcam. I suppose it was a LARGE coyote but it made me think 'wolf'

View attachment 350315
Definitely a coyote. Real wolves are really big animals.
I'm not discounting the free willy attitude some have when they adopt cross bred wolves and realize they are too big for them to keep and handle, then dumping them in the wild.
Wolves are pack animals, not solitary hunters. One solitary animal would not likely travel from Yellowstone to Oklahoma. It's just not in their blood to be alone.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A few weeks ago, I was watching a nature video about wolves with my brother's kids (the title was something about wolves and buffalo). The wolves in that show looked an awful lot like coyotes, so it wouldn't be surprising if someone were to mistake a coyote for a wolf, especially at a distance or in poor visibility conditions.

ODWC ran a comparison of silhouettes of housecats, bobcats, and mountain lions on Outdoor Oklahoma this last season, showing how difficult it is to accurately gauge the size of wildlife at a distance; although it's certainly possible that there are wolves in Oklahoma, it seems more likely that these are just cases misidentification.

GIJROB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I saw two (things) attack a deer a few weeks ago at the property. I couldn't see them well through the tree but what i did catch was two four legged coyote/ wolf looking things. Lol one had is it front paws dug into the deer while they were running. But they a FU$& LOAD bigger they any coyote I've ever seen. Needless to say i walk the wife out every morning when heads to her car for work.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
years ago while deer hunting ... it was a full moon. we suspected deer had gone nocturnal. so I sneaked out late at night with a full moon.

watched what I thought was a pack of 6-8 wolves hunting.
where I hunt is in Pawhuska on Osage tribal land that's never been developed. part of last of the cross timbers that once dominated, blocked/slowed down early settlers going west.

the oral historian of the Osage tribe told me watch out for black panthers where I hunt and not to shoot it. I've never seen one .. a few big paw marks.

here's a post on osa claiming images (gone) of black panthers in eastern okla
https://www.okshooters.com/threads/proof-of-black-panthers-in-oklahoma-caught-on-cam.130789/

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom