Don’t laugh… wolves in Oklahoma?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Okay y’all don’t make fun of me for asking this….. but I’ve been told by 2 different people in the last month that they believe they’ve seen wolves in southwest oklahoma. I’ve never known there to be wolves anywhere around, but I’ve been wrong about other things before. The most recent report I heard, was that a guy saw what he believed were 2 wolves by highway 62 west of Lawton.

What do y’all think? Are they full of it?
I saw three wolves being chased by Black Panthers just a week ago in Tishomingo………

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It was 1980or maybe 1982 and hunting Indian land that was on the back side of Robbers Cave state park.
I walked a lot of land because I was young and dumb and I came upon a dead wolf.

I went back to camp and told the adults as I was just 12 or 14 at the time.
I was called nuts and it was a coyote.
Well I was grounded most of my childhood and I had a lot of nature books with all kinds of animals fish and insects and i drew them often and I knew a wolf from a coyote.

I finally got my dad's cousin to walk with me to the dead critter.
He thought it also looked like a wolf.
All the camp had to go look then.
HHHMMM Well the ranger was called out then the College and the area was tapped off.
News media came out and a few days later the college comes out with results and it was in fact a wolf.

Of course I got Zero credit.
Not that I wanted any.

I sold 80 acres in Prague a ways out of town and the new owners had many pictures of a Red wolf on the land.

The wolf in the above story was not a Red wolf.
More white and grey and big.

gunnut918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I owned a free range husky (wouldn’t stay home) and live by some public land. Lady saw it and stopped at gas station couple miles away telling everyone to be careful. Son happened to be working there, quelled that story quickly. As far as “ black panthers “ , nada. They are melanistic Jaguars, so none here except in zoos. Hit the like button on emapples post and it put ”you” there. What’s the deal with that?

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay y’all don’t make fun of me for asking this….. but I’ve been told by 2 different people in the last month that they believe they’ve seen wolves in southwest oklahoma. I’ve never known there to be wolves anywhere around, but I’ve been wrong about other things before. The most recent report I heard, was that a guy saw what he believed were 2 wolves by highway 62 west of Lawton.

What do y’all think? Are they full of it?
Most people don't believe we have cougars in Oklahoma. I have seen them, and the state wildlife Dept, has 42 confirmed cougar sightings in OK, , sense 2002!!! The confirmation they used, was photos, and dead animals hit by cars, trains, etc. Wolves cover a wide range, and could easily have moved from areas where they stocked, in 20/30 years.

Latest posts

Top Bottom