Drivers license advice..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

918evo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm in Tulsa. My Washington DL expires this month, and I didn't think too much about the complications of getting my license transfered. According to the interwebs, both of Tulsa's locations are already booked up 60 days.(by appt only)
Mon-Fri of course, which means taking a day off work to go try a walk-in office in one of the surrounding areas. I've also read recently that lots of people are getting turned away at local offices even when arriving prior to opening hrs.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
If it can be done at a tag office that does licenses- Go to West Tulsa Tag office at 4739 S. Union Tuesday-Friday as early as you can. I waited about an hour. If it has to be at a DMV location go to Service Oklahoma TulsaWest 3190 W 21st St S, Tulsa, OK 74107 and show up at 6:10am and you will need to wait an hour or two.

FrankNmac

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Things are so much better already...can't you tell?

The article reflects some of the same frustrations voiced in this thread.

https://kfor.com/news/local/drivers-upset-about-drivers-license-wait-times/
An excerpt:

Last May, Governor Kevin Stitt signed legislation switching driver and car services in the state to an agency called Service Oklahoma, hoping for a permanent solution to the long lines and frustration experienced during the COVID-19 pandemic.

KFOR reached out to Service Oklahoma and received this statement:

“Since taking over driver license services in November 2022, Service Oklahoma (SOK) continues to strive to improve the experience for customers. SOK has increased the phone call answer rate 9X the previous rate, and has moved many services online, saving customers valuable time. SOK has also recently completed a full audit of all 30 locations statewide, seeking ways to improve. Findings from this evaluation are now being leveraged to expand our capacity in all locations, reducing wait times and streamlining customer flow. This includes working to alleviate a 20-percent vacancy rate with customer-facing personnel.

Customers in need of driver license services have a number of these special locations to choose from, many of which offer appointments that can be booked ahead of time. We are committed to serving all Oklahomans, and look forward to improving the experience for all customers.”

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Its all a joke.

I went to a tag office in another town to get my license renewed and do the real ID thing.

Local joint said I had to get in line etc etc.

Office in next town said come on in, I did, in and out in 15 with all my documents for the real ID, had the real ID in my mail box 8 days later.

Oklahoma tag offices are for the most part a remnant of the good ole buddy system IMO.

RockHopper

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This problem feels so "west coast", although not currently an issue Washington has...it's exactly the kind of bull **** I left to get away from. How frustrating.
I'll try what's been suggested. Walk-in at a rural office. I've found that trick to work with other .gov licensing offices in the past. For instance, applying for CPL renewal from urban sheriff's office rather than Seattle downtown king county.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife is finally getting her TX license swapped over this next week to an OK license. She already has a TX Real ID license but she can't get the OK DL at a tag agent office. She has to go to a DPS office. It's all but impossible to do that in Ada and they don't take appts there. She's driving to MacAlester for hers.

I was going to renew my CDL...which also has to be done at a DPS office. I'm never gonna use it again so I said screw that and just downgraded to a standard DL...done at the Ada tag office in about 10 mins.

hipshot

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went into the office in the old mall at 21st and Garnett last year ( about 9-10 months ago) walked in at 6:30, they opened at 7:30 and had to wait about 30-40 minutes and they called me back and got my Oklahoma Real ID done in about 15 minutes ( I was moving back from Texas) it was quick and easy, You’ll need an original birth certificate and a couple of pieces of mail with your current address.

Waltercat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Seems there should be a hefty Grace Period since the state can't accommodate drivers.
It's only been a problem since the National ID crap. So if it's a 60 wait for renewal it should be
graced 60 days after expiring. Wonder how the average traffic stop is handled by LE when
they know the problem.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife is finally getting her TX license swapped over this next week to an OK license. She already has a TX Real ID license but she can't get the OK DL at a tag agent office. She has to go to a DPS office. It's all but impossible to do that in Ada and they don't take appts there. She's driving to MacAlester for hers.

I was going to renew my CDL...which also has to be done at a DPS office. I'm never gonna use it again so I said screw that and just downgraded to a standard DL...done at the Ada tag office in about 10 mins.
I done the same with my CDL's and just got a ordinary DL not one of these Real Id's and it was free on top of that and only have to renew in 8 years.

Latest posts

Top Bottom