Dude on the Tower poll

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How will it end?

• Total voters

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Hell, I didn't want him to commit suicide or jump, I just figured he was going to fall off due to dehydration.

It was a big ol' waste of freaking time. He got the attention he wanted and "won" the hearts of almost everybody. Ghey...

Don't forget he cost us a crapload of money.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't forget he cost us a crapload of money.

How did he cost the taxpayers anymore money? Some firefighters stood around a tower rather than a firehouse and the cops were at the tower rather than a QT, EMSA is not a public utility so they were there at their own expense. I guess there could be some nominal fuel expense associated with tower guy.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
How did he cost the taxpayers anymore money? Some firefighters stood around a tower rather than a firehouse and the cops were at the tower rather than a QT, EMSA is not a public utility so they were there at their own expense. I guess there could be some nominal fuel expense associated with tower guy.

Actually it does cost money to have people stand by at scenes like that for days. They still have to maintain regular staffing levels to handle all the regular calls and often the people "standing around" are there on OT. Least that's the way it worked the few times I had to do it... dunno if it was handled differently here. If the people "standing around" were pulled from regular patrol or station duty, then his stupid attention-getting tantrum was putting other people's lives at risk and he should be charged with public endangerment, and if they were on OT, then he should be charged the monetary cost of it.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If there was any OT incurred during this fiasco it's due to poor management. Would the city commit this much manpower to a trespasser on mine or your property?

Then you have to take into account that on the first day the guy was climbing down and when he was within 8' of the ground some idiot(s) decided that he needed to open fire with pepper spray (hopefully he/they wii be fired or at the least kept away from the public). From that point on the expenses are self inflicted by the city.

If you expect this guy to pay the expenses associated with his situation you have to expect all of us who use public services to pay the expenses associated with our house fires, car wrecks, heart attacks, etc.

HiImSeth

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If there was any OT incurred during this fiasco it's due to poor management. Would the city commit this much manpower to a trespasser on mine or your property?

Then you have to take into account that on the first day the guy was climbing down and when he was within 8' of the ground some idiot(s) decided that he needed to open fire with pepper spray (hopefully he/they wii be fired or at the least kept away from the public). From that point on the expenses are self inflicted by the city.

If you expect this guy to pay the expenses associated with his situation you have to expect all of us who use public services to pay the expenses associated with our house fires, car wrecks, heart attacks, etc.

+1,000

4play

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I agree with this. If the city and services rendered came up with bills, at what point in the situation would they consider to start billing? Would it start with the first man-hour? second day? third day?

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lots of places send a bill to residents when they fight a fire on their property, especially if the fire is determined to have been grossly negligent in its origin.

But public endangerment is a serious issue... tying up emergency personnel for long periods of time is dangerous. I've seen people sent to jail for similar behavior. When it is willful and in direct non-compliance with official commands (aka, "Come down off the private radio tower now!"), then people should be held responsible for their actions. Accidents are one thing... plain disregard of public safety is something totally different.

Simply saying, "I pay taxes!" isn't sufficient to allow one to have unlimited license to abuse the system and endanger public safety or waste public funds.

And please back up your statement that if this cost the city OT it was due to mismanagement. With specifics, please. How exactly is it mismanagement to have to maintain normal staffing levels to maintain coverage for normal call volume, all the while adding ADDITIONAL staffing to cover some idiot who won't come out of a a frigging tower??? If they pull engine company 37 off of their normal call rotation and your mother dies because the nearest responding unit to her choking episode should have been unit 37, how quick would you be to sue either the city or the FD for not putting on additional staff?

Latest posts

Top Bottom