Dude on the Tower poll

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How will it end?

• Total voters

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
But don't things change when the person is considered mentally unstable? Kinda like the temp insanity defense in a murder? "I don't remember doing it" etc. How can he be held responsible for a situation he caused but has no recollection of? What if he has no job? How would he pay for it then? Sure you could sue him and get a judgement, but he still couldn't pay.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
But don't things change when the person is considered mentally unstable? Kinda like the temp insanity defense in a murder? "I don't remember doing it" etc. How can he be held responsible for a situation he caused but has no recollection of? What if he has no job? How would he pay for it then? Sure you could sue him and get a judgement, but he still couldn't pay.

Everyone is harping on him being "mentally unstable"... but we don't know HOW unstable, or if that's really a factor. I know a ton of people who would jump to using that defense when they really just want to get out of personal responsibility. Being on an antidepressant or anti-anxiety medication doesn't make one not responsible for one's actions.

The yardstick used to measure such things usually is whether the individual knew right from wrong and if he/she could understand the consequences of their actions. Both of those measures SHOULD be extremely difficult to breach.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
IF he were found to be truly 100% incompetent, then he shouldn't be living in society, since he can't reasonably keep from endangering the public safety.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lots of places send a bill to residents when they fight a fire on their property, especially if the fire is determined to have been grossly negligent in its origin.

But public endangerment is a serious issue... tying up emergency personnel for long periods of time is dangerous. I've seen people sent to jail for similar behavior. When it is willful and in direct non-compliance with official commands (aka, "Come down off the private radio tower now!"), then people should be held responsible for their actions. Accidents are one thing... plain disregard of public safety is something totally different.

Simply saying, "I pay taxes!" isn't sufficient to allow one to have unlimited license to abuse the system and endanger public safety or waste public funds.

And please back up your statement that if this cost the city OT it was due to mismanagement. With specifics, please. How exactly is it mismanagement to have to maintain normal staffing levels to maintain coverage for normal call volume, all the while adding ADDITIONAL staffing to cover some idiot who won't come out of a a frigging tower??? If they pull engine company 37 off of their normal call rotation and your mother dies because the nearest responding unit to her choking episode should have been unit 37, how quick would you be to sue either the city or the FD for not putting on additional staff?

One firefighter, one bucket truck, one cop was more than enough to watch a guy in a tower. Any fire station in Tulsa could spare a firefighter and a bucket truck for a week without endangering the public.

Tower guy never would have been tower guy had it not been for the innappropriate actions of the police.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Everyone is harping on him being "mentally unstable"... but we don't know HOW unstable, or if that's really a factor.

You do know the guy was up a steel radio tower with little to no food or water for 6 days to "work some things out", right? I think most quasi-stable folks would have given up 'bout day 3 or 4. Tower Guy is broken.

And lets be honest, if not on scene with tower guy, the TFD guys would have been shining chrome, watching Oprah and cooking marinara sauce. The TPD guys would have been spiking their hair and trying on predator sunglasses in the mirror. Real talk.

And please back up your statement that if this cost the city OT it was due to mismanagement. With specifics, please. How exactly is it mismanagement to have to maintain normal staffing levels to maintain coverage for normal call volume, all the while adding ADDITIONAL staffing to cover some idiot who won't come out of a a frigging tower??? If they pull engine company 37 off of their normal call rotation and your mother dies because the nearest responding unit to her choking episode should have been unit 37, how quick would you be to sue either the city or the FD for not putting on additional staff?

I've told my mother time and time again, CHEW YOUR FOOD MA!

I love internet hyperbole. Tower Guy went from harmlessly sitting on a tower to killing our mothers. Lawlers.

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IF he were found to be truly 100% incompetent, then he shouldn't be living in society, since he can't reasonably keep from endangering the public safety.

But should he have to pay for the services of the FD/TPD, etc. IF he is found mentally unstable to your satisfaction?

Latest posts

Top Bottom