Eating squirrels

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hooker

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
~ 3 squirrels, cut up (All hair and shot removed.)
~ 1 egg
~ 2 cups plain flour
~ 3/4 cup broth
~ 1 teaspoon salt
~ salt and pepper

Boil squirrels in four quarts of water until tender. Remove squirrels from broth, let cool, then remove meat from bones. Set aside.

In large bowl, mix flour, egg and one teaspoon of salt with 3/4 cup of broth and roll into ball.

Strain the broth to remove any stray shot then resume boil. Return meat to boiling broth.

On a floured cutting board, use rolling pin to roll the dough ball to a thickness of 1/16 inch. Cut into 1-inch wide strips and drop strips one at a time into the boiling broth. Gently shake pot after last dumpling is added to prevent sticking.

Cook approximately 10-15 minutes until dumplings are tender. Salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy

Pat

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There have been no reports of any thing like that in OK.
No matter how you skin it, be sure to dunk it in water before you do. It keeps the stray hair down from getting on the meat. The hair is hell to get off the meat if it ends up there. I don't know what it is that causes this, but the gravy is the best part. It has a unique flavor.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
first of all grandpa used to give us a good whippen for shooting them in the head. now for cooking don't matter old or young salt and pepper roll in flour slightly brown in skillet then put in a backing dish and pour cream of mushroom soup over them and back in oven for about an hour at 300

I'm cooking some tenderized venison round steaks with that recipe as we speak. I use golden mushroom soup mix, and add extra shrooms, onion, and bell pepper, with a 1" layer of cheese on top. Bake at 350 for about 2hrs, and enjoy:woohoo1::woohoo1::woohoo1:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm cooking some tenderized venison round steaks with that recipe as we speak. I use golden mushroom soup mix, and add extra shrooms, onion, and bell pepper, with a 1" layer of cheese on top. Bake at 350 for about 2hrs, and enjoy:woohoo1::woohoo1::woohoo1:

Just took it out of the oven and garnished it with some green onion and extra sharp cheddar cheese.

[Broken External Image]

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_DSC01324.jpg

Soulman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
AMe, I'll just dredge them in some flour and fry them a little in some bacon grease then make up some gravy with whats in the pan and let them cook in that till done and make up a mess of biscuits to go with them. Squirrel and dumplings is pretty good too, like chicken and dumplings except with tree rat.

That, sir, is exactly the way my grandpa taught me to prepare squirrel. I love me some biscuits and squirrel gravy. I've also done the same thing with rabbit, but squirrel prepared just like you mentioned is my favorite.

Latest posts

Top Bottom