Eating squirrels

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe we should have a OSA wild game cook-off? Only registered members/spouses/family invited, and all rules go out the door. Cook what you want? Small charge for samples to cover the cooks expenses? Do a little shooting after dinner?
I'll bet 1shott would go for it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry about kind of stealing your thread

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_DSC01324.jpg

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That, sir, is exactly the way my grandpa taught me to prepare squirrel. I love me some biscuits and squirrel gravy. I've also done the same thing with rabbit, but squirrel prepared just like you mentioned is my favorite.

Yep. Fried squirrel, biscuits and squirrel gravy is the best. I prefer young grey squirrels. Those big old male fox squirrels get tough.

THE JOKER

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
~ 3 squirrels, cut up (All hair and shot removed.)
~ 1 egg
~ 2 cups plain flour
~ 3/4 cup broth
~ 1 teaspoon salt
~ salt and pepper

Boil squirrels in four quarts of water until tender. Remove squirrels from broth, let cool, then remove meat from bones. Set aside.

In large bowl, mix flour, egg and one teaspoon of salt with 3/4 cup of broth and roll into ball.

Strain the broth to remove any stray shot then resume boil. Return meat to boiling broth.

On a floured cutting board, use rolling pin to roll the dough ball to a thickness of 1/16 inch. Cut into 1-inch wide strips and drop strips one at a time into the boiling broth. Gently shake pot after last dumpling is added to prevent sticking.

Cook approximately 10-15 minutes until dumplings are tender. Salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy

Pat

You can also substitute packrat if you are low on squirrel

badaugherty

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We mostly eat them quartered and fried, but you can put them in the smoker whole for a little bit to get some smoke on them and then transfer them to a covered roasting pan and finish them in the oven at 250 till the meat pulls away from the bone or they reach an internal temp of 160. I like the roasting pan because all the drippings are handy for squirrel gravy.

Latest posts

Top Bottom