Ebola. Nothing to fear.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You know Shep has always been fairly good at keeping his political leanings to himself, at least up until this deal. His statement beginning at 1:30 shows his true stripes. Someone infected and carrying the virus, but not showing symptoms can't transmit the virus? If they sneeze on a plane or bus because their allergies are flaring and it's impossible to leave virus on whatever person or surface they sneeze on? That's rich. It either shows he's on board with the official DC message or that he has given them far too much credibility.
That's what the scientific evidence indicates.
I suppose you have some credible scientific evidence to the contrary?

DeeJay

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You know Shep has always been fairly good at keeping his political leanings to himself, at least up until this deal. His statement beginning at 1:30 shows his true stripes. Someone infected and carrying the virus, but not showing symptoms can't transmit the virus? If they sneeze on a plane or bus because their allergies are flaring and it's impossible to leave virus on whatever person or surface they sneeze on? That's rich. It either shows he's on board with the official DC message or that he has given them far too much credibility.

Many diseases are only contagious during certain stages.
For instance: whooping cough. It is not contagious until the onset of symptoms which occur 7-10 days after infection.
How soon after infection do symptoms appear? The incubation period is usually seven to ten days with a range of four to 21 days and rarely may be as long as 42 days.
When and for how long is a person able to spread pertussis? If untreated, a person can transmit pertussis from onset of symptoms to three weeks after the onset of coughing episodes. The period of communicability is reduced to five days after treatment with antibiotics.
https://www.health.ny.gov/diseases/communicable/pertussis/fact_sheet.htm

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

There's a point to which your viral load infiltrates certain parts of your body that allows you to become more contagious. At that point you have symptoms. To be honest, what they say reflects the fact that the people that actually have been infected were only exposed to really sick people.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No I have common sense to the contrary and I fully understand that it's politically correct to lie to the public in the interest of quelling panic.

Do you honestly believe that if I actually have ebola in me, live, active, and multiplying but not to the point that I have symptoms like fever, nausea, vomiting, etc. and I were to sneeze on the fold down tray on the seat in front of me on the plane right before landing and you taking my seat on the plane's next flight and you lowering said tray and then rubbing your eye due to an itch after having touched the exact spot the virus landed on, that you cannot possibly be infected? I guess you are a good little subject because that's exactly what they want you to believe.

ETA: 2 posts came in while slow typing. lol

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Funny thing about common sense.
Common sense tells me the sun circles around the earth instead of the opposite.
I can see it with my own eyes.

Science says No.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No I have common sense to the contrary and I fully understand that it's politically correct to lie to the public in the interest of quelling panic.

Do you honestly believe that if I actually have ebola in me, live, active, and multiplying but not to the point that I have symptoms like fever, nausea, vomiting, etc. and I were to sneeze on the fold down tray on the seat in front of me on the plane right before landing and you taking my seat on the plane's next flight and you lowering said tray and then rubbing your eye due to an itch after having touched the exact spot the virus landed on, that you cannot possibly be infected? I guess you are a good little subject because that's exactly what they want you to believe.

ETA: 2 posts came in while slow typing. lol

Several viruses have the same pathology actually. It takes awhile for the virus to spread to mucus membranes. Basic Microbiology actually.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Several viruses have the same pathology actually. It takes awhile for the virus to spread to mucus membranes. Basic Microbiology actually.

That may be true and it probably is looking at how localized the outbreaks are to the African region. But I just can't believe a whole lot with the track record of the CDC's statements and protocol revisions and then Obama's statement about "it's not coming here", "nothing to worry about" and two weeks later we have one dead and several more in the hospital with it. Personally I suspect that they don't really know as much about it as they like to portray. Just conservatively cautious I guess...

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That may be true and it probably is looking at how localized the outbreaks are to the African region. But I just can't believe a whole lot with the track record of the CDC's statements and protocol revisions and then Obama's statement about "it's not coming here", "nothing to worry about" and two weeks later we have one dead and several more in the hospital with it. Personally I suspect that they don't really know as much about it as they like to portray. Just conservatively cautious I guess...

What I hate about these situations is that either political side will polarize the issue to the point of stupidity. Should you be cautious? Sure. But let's not burn the house down yet. Ebola has been contained in areas of Africa that have employed basic sanitation and quarantine procedures. Watch out though if this virus mutates.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Several? You mean 2 right? Exactly the ROI as it has had in west Africa.

The TX Ebola was as boggled as it could have been and some how it did not explode into a pandemic. This leads me to believe the science is correct that it is not communicable until symptoms are present and severe. Just using that "common sense" and powers of deductive reasoning.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Watch out though if this virus mutates.

Why is the mutation threat considered a greater threat than other viruses? Why aren't we worried about the HIV virus mutating and going airborne? After all HIV has infected millions and thus had millions more opportunities to mutate. I tend to think of mutations in an evolutionary sense. They don't just change overnight. It is a long term change. But I'm no biologist or epidemiologist. Nor did I stay at a holiday inn last night.

Latest posts

Top Bottom