Ebola. Nothing to fear.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Several? You mean 2 right? Exactly the ROI as it has had in west Africa.

The TX Ebola was as boggled as it could have been and some how it did not explode into a pandemic. This leads me to believe the science is correct that it is not communicable until symptoms are present and severe. Just using that "common sense" and powers of deductive reasoning.

You forgot the doctor in New York?

ETA: I'm not counting the first two aid workers that came in knowing they had it. You wanna count those it brings the number to 5.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You forgot the doctor in New York?

ETA: I'm not counting the first two aid workers that came in knowing they had it. You wanna count those it brings the number to 5.

The Dr in New York got it directly from W Africa. I was referring to the Dallas incident where transmission occurred in the US.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Science doesn't know everything about everything, but it knows a lot about a lot of things. Suspicion is sometimes good. Skepticism is always good. Ignorance is never good. Just ask those superstitious Africans who believe that science is giving them Ebola.
The worst thing about this whole ebola farce is that there could well be a pathogen out there that we haven't studied for nearly 38 years. Something we don't know anything about. Something more contagious and virulent than ebola. Something to be not only concerned but on the cusp of panic about. It could just pop up and nobody would pay any attention. You could turn the tv on and people would be tearing their hair out and you would just assume it to be another clarion call to muster the wet panty brigade. :sunbath:

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why is the mutation threat considered a greater threat than other viruses? Why aren't we worried about the HIV virus mutating and going airborne? After all HIV has infected millions and thus had millions more opportunities to mutate. I tend to think of mutations in an evolutionary sense. They don't just change overnight. It is a long term change. But I'm no biologist or epidemiologist. Nor did I stay at a holiday inn last night.

I'm not saying we should worry about one more than the other. I do believe the pathology of the Ebola does allow for a higher viral load in a short amount of time, which could lend a higher chance of mutation.

I guess they tracked 50 mutations in the first month?

http://www.nature.com/news/ebola-virus-mutating-rapidly-as-it-spreads-1.15777

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Dr in New York got it directly from W Africa. I was referring to the Dallas incident where transmission occurred in the US.

Yes I know that, but you were replying to my post in which I wasn't. ;)

I was making the point that our .gov is just blatantly lying to us to quell panic and they end up creating more panic. They said that (paraphrasing here) that there was nothing to worry about, it's not coming here, it's actually very hard to transmit, any hospital can effectively treat it, direct physical contact is actually out to 3 feet, etc., etc., etc.

Then it came,

Then two "trained" nurses caught it (they worked at a hospital and any of them can treat it)

They were wearing the approved PPE

Then we find out that .gov was talking out their ass, they changed their tune on basically everything they'd said, they changed the PPE protocols (at least twice) and basically had to eat a whole bunch of crow on multiple occasions. I knew this as they were saying it because my daughter is an RN in a NICU and PICU. You think my criticism is bad, you should hear her comments! They were basically treating the public like parents of small children do when a gory horror flick is on, they just turn it off. Except we aren't small children and can think for ourselves, much to their chagrin I'm sure, and they just make the whole thing worse. Then there's that political thing GMThunder was talking about. Speaking of which, the head of the CDC and ebola czar have been disappeared? I wonder if they got Vince Fostered? :scratch:

My whole point is why are we expected to believe anything they say now? The .gov has poisoned the pool by completely shatting all over it. They get their info from the medical community and the public at large figures the medical community is either on board with the .gov's narrative or they are being coerced when they speak publicly on the subject.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes I know that, but you were replying to my post in which I wasn't. ;)

I was making the point that our .gov is just blatantly lying to us to quell panic and they end up creating more panic. They said that (paraphrasing here) that there was nothing to worry about, it's not coming here, it's actually very hard to transmit, any hospital can effectively treat it, direct physical contact is actually out to 3 feet, etc., etc., etc.

Then it came,

Then two "trained" nurses caught it (they worked at a hospital and any of them can treat it)

They were wearing the approved PPE

Then we find out that .gov was talking out their ass, they changed their tune on basically everything they'd said, they changed the PPE protocols (at least twice) and basically had to eat a whole bunch of crow on multiple occasions. I knew this as they were saying it because my daughter is an RN in a NICU and PICU. You think my criticism is bad, you should hear her comments! They were basically treating the public like parents of small children do when a gory horror flick is on, they just turn it off. Except we aren't small children and can think for ourselves, much to their chagrin I'm sure, and they just make the whole thing worse. Then there's that political thing GMThunder was talking about. Speaking of which, the head of the CDC and ebola czar have been disappeared? I wonder if they got Vince Fostered? :scratch:

My whole point is why are we expected to believe anything they say now? The .gov has poisoned the pool by completely shatting all over it. They get their info from the medical community and the public at large figures the medical community is either on board with the .gov's narrative or they are being coerced when they speak publicly on the subject.
^^^This is the kind of post that would have made a certain amount of sense about five weeks ago. History renders it meaningless. The .gov narrative was right, and the .hysteria narrative was wrong. The .hysteria narrative was represented pretty damned well by the media. I don't remember the .hysteria narrative being supressed at all.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How is the .gov lying to us when we can scientifically prove what they are saying? Not pumping out sunshine, just saying that what they have said, for the most part, has been true. I know that doesn't make good political fodder, but it's reality.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The biology is apparently the only thing they MIGHT have right. The rest of it is just a cluster**** and there's no way to spin it otherwise. And after the frantic contact tracing in NY with that doctor and the egotistical antics of that nurse in Maine and the response she got from the state(s), I'm still skeptical that they really have confidence in their biology. Maybe they do, hopefully they do, but why are they so wrong on everything else? I swear you couldn't screw up the public's perception of your competence any worse if you were writing a hollywood script!

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's the way science and medicine work.
When you receive updated information you adapt to that information.

I wouldn't be worried that the CDC adapted their protocols and procedures on the basis of new information.
I would be worried if they failed to adapt their protocols and procedures on the basis of new information.

I guess it just depends on if you are a glass half empty/full type of person.

Latest posts

Top Bottom