Enid, Ok. Friends of the NRA meeting in a non gun friendly setting?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
This has been bothering me every since I found out about it.
This years Friends of the NRA meeting in Enid is going to be held in a building that is posted with gun buster signs at all entrances. The Cherokee Strip Conference Center is the location for this years meeting.

I E-mailed the person in charge of the center as soon as I found out that the meeting will be held there and asked if they now allowed concealed carry. She replied that they have a no gun policy as noted on their signs. When I pointed out that our Friends of the NRA organization had leased a room there she told me she would get back to me about it. The next day she replied that if those going to the meeting wanted to carry concealed they must notify someone at the Conference Center before they enter. They would then be checked for a license and allowed to enter if they were legal.

The issue for me is how do I approach this issue. I do not know who is in charge of the Friends of the NRA group to contact them. This yearly function brings in loads of money for the NRA and I do like to support them.

What would you do?

Michael

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can you call the NRA rep for Oklahoma? His name and number are in every American Rifleman magazine and ask him what he would do if he were you. Then look at my signature line.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
MLR, is that at the fairgrounds or the museum? sounds like they are going out of they'r way to me accomodating but what are the going to do, have a "gun person" set up outside?

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The Cherokee Strip Conference Center Is owned by the City of Enid I believe. It is leased out to business, groups and others for use as a meeting place. It is located in the center of town in what they call the Square in Enid. I e-mailed the person listed on the website that tells about the NRA meeting but as yet no response. I will probably just stay away from it this year and hope they pick a more gun friendly location to have it next year.

Michael

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you do decide not to go, you should let them know why your are staying away and spebding your potential donation elsewhere.

Personally, there is no way I would attend an NRA meeting or banquet someplace that forbids the lawful exercise of the 2nd. I think its ridiculous.

Just my opinion.

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
This is the reply I reveived from the person listed on the Friends of the NRA site in Enid.
The signs are a turnoff!
since they have events [ie,wedding receptions] that serve alcohol the signs are placed.
we have found them to be very helpful and easy to work with so we deal with having to look at the signs.
there aren't many alternative choices for us to use so we go there.
Michael

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Cherokee Strip Conference Center Is owned by the City of Enid I believe. It is leased out to business, groups and others for use as a meeting place. It is located in the center of town in what they call the Square in Enid. I e-mailed the person listed on the website that tells about the NRA meeting but as yet no response. I will probably just stay away from it this year and hope they pick a more gun friendly location to have it next year.

Michael

If it's owned by the City of Enid and leased out for meetings, is it even legal by the SDA for them to post it? As for the response of the NRA rep, I find that to be typical of the NRA. No way in hell I'd attend or donate money to an organization with that attitude! :(

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If it's owned by the City of Enid and leased out for meetings, is it even legal by the SDA for them to post it? As for the response of the NRA rep, I find that to be typical of the NRA. No way in hell I'd attend or donate money to an organization with that attitude! :(
Yes it is owned by the city. Are the laws on posting a building off limits to weapons different for public owned vs privately owned buildings? I have never heard of a distinction.

Michael

Latest posts

Top Bottom