Enid, Ok. Friends of the NRA meeting in a non gun friendly setting?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's a pathetic response by the NRA rep... not surprised that the NRA is clueless as to why Gun Buster signs turn off people at a PRO-GUN BANQUET.

Typical.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If the place where the meeting is to be held is indeed owned by the city and used as a place for the public to meet or do business then check the prohibited places section of the SDA law.

I'm not positive but am relatively sure you will find it to be one of the prohibited places, kind'a like a city library is a prohibited place.

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If the place where the meeting is to be held is indeed owned by the city and used as a place for the public to meet or do business then check the prohibited places section of the SDA law.

I'm not positive but am relatively sure you will find it to be one of the prohibited places, kind'a like a city library is a prohibited place.
No its not a prohibited place. It is not a public building that is used to do business with the public. Many of the building used to house gun shows are public owned. The building that my gun club is one we lease from the city for our meetings.

Just because a building is owned by the city does not make it off limits. Only ones that are used soley for doing business with the public are off limits. No more than public bathrooms in a city park is off limits.

Michael

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Seems to me the City of Enid is the problem here. Perhaps the NRA should take the issue up with them, rather than blowing it off like it's out of their control. Some gun rights lobbying organization they are, if they let some podunk town put one over on them. :(

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No its not a prohibited place. It is not a public building that is used to do business with the public. Many of the building used to house gun shows are public owned. The building that my gun club is one we lease from the city for our meetings.

Just because a building is owned by the city does not make it off limits. Only ones that are used soley for doing business with the public are off limits. No more than public bathrooms in a city park is off limits.

Michael

You are right. Enid may own it but if the City of Enid isn't using it to conduct business with the public it isn't a prohibited place. So it seems that as GTG states the problem is really with the city.

Here's the applicable law:
§21-1277. Unlawful Carry in Certain Places
A. It shall be unlawful for any person in possession of a valid concealed handgun license issued pursuant to the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act to carry any concealed handgun into any of the following places:
1. Any structure, building, or office space which is owned or leased by a city, town, county, state, or federal governmental authority for the purpose of conducting business with the public;

ExSniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would not support the event and would contact the NRA rep to let them know why. We need to use the power of our dollars to change these types of stupid and arbitrary rules. I am sure they can find another venue in Enid.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
They've had the Friends of the NRA event at this location before, probably 2005 or 2006? It was the last one I was able to attend. I don't remember if there were gunbuster signs on the doors then or not.

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I would not support the event and would contact the NRA rep to let them know why. We need to use the power of our dollars to change these types of stupid and arbitrary rules. I am sure they can find another venue in Enid.
I sent a follow up e-mail to the gentleman listed on the local Friends of the NRA site telling him that my conscience will not allow me to attend. That we as supporters of gun rights must take a stand even if it means not going to a very important and fun event.

I was looking forward to this years event. Sadly I will miss it.

Michael

thegomezclan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't mean to hijack the thread but do the gun buster signs in Oklahoma have to follow certain giudelines? I know in Texas they have to be contrasting colors and at a certain height.
Thank you

Latest posts

Top Bottom