Excess inventory of used firearms?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sherrick13

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm retired now but when I owned a gunshop many years ago I liked doing transfers. Would I prefer to sell the gun from inventory of course. My business partner hated transfers and would sometimes piss off a customer and then I would try and make amends. It got to the point that customers would not even talk to him but would insist on dealing with me. Reason I liked transfers is we had several collectors who order guns online that there would be no way for us to have in inventory. Some of these guys would do several transfers a month sometimes several in a week. What the transfer did for us that my partner didn't always grasp was these guys talk to others and plus if he ordered a rifle from someplace if it needed work our gunsmith did it, if it needed a scope, ammo, sling etc we sold it to him. We might make $50 to a $100 on a rifle but maybe a thousand on accessories. Plus I would if I could I would always stand and BS with a customer if time allowed. So to me transfers made great business sense. Plus it was a blast to see and handle some of these firearms we did transfers for.
You understand

bambihunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Outside of new guns, I seldom buy from local gun stores because I rarely buy "normal" stuff. I get most of mine on Gunbroker and even with their huge volume, some of have taken years to get. I set up a saved search and it notifies me when a listing matches my search. I'd never find what I was after if I had to constantly hit the stores. I've got around a dozen items with less than 150 ever made.

I get mine transferred to a local pawn shop with a single owner/operator (D&P Pawn). He only carries maybe 20 - 30 guns at any given time. I've only bought a couple things from him in the 20 years I've done business with him, and it was actually tools. He used to be $10 but he recently had to raise to $25. He really takes care of me and when I have expensive stuff he'll lock it up in his safe for me until I can get over to pick it up. If you ever visit, tell him "the 10mm man" / Mike sent you.
I would NEVER do business with a place that charges $50 for a transfer, especially knowing their reasoning. I maybe could understand a surcharge for transfers on new items they have in stock, but not at 2 - 5x the cost of other places.

Last edited:

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In Lawton, Sanders Hardware is the place for transfers or purchase. Deal with our own mighty mouse and have a smooth transaction.

I have bought in several pawn shops. Never in Lawton, though I do visit, on occasion. Have yet to find find or make a deal.

Large and small LGS, pawn shops, online, gun shows; all have their place.

Back in the day, most every brick and mortar in existence complained about Shotgun News. I didn't care. When I had a customer bring in Shotgun News, I told them to order it. Of course, they couldn't, they didn't have a FFL. I would order it for $20 fee. Most times, I could get it from distributor for less, thereby making more, plus any ammo, accessories or work.

Not any different than buying a car. Play the game, have fun, be happy.

Even those that buy a $900 item for $450 and mark it $1800; make a sell, Occasionally. But, not to me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom