Family First

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
As many of you know, in 2007 I found out I had family in South Africa. Went there for the first time in 2009 and then again in October of 2010 to walk my sister down the isle as our father (whom I've never met) has passed away and she wanted me to be the one to "give her away."

Fast forward to today. Her long time dreams of visiting the states are over, she will be landing in Tulsa tomorrow morning. The only problem is, I'm stuck at work and they are only allowing me to have off 3 days next week. Her and her husband will be here 9 more days following that.

So, spending time with my new family, introducing them to my side of my family and such, may mostly take place without my presence as I sit at my desk and my precious wife does most all of that.

I'm certainly very upset about all of this. Have lost my appetite, my desire to do much of anything else and my wonderful sister and her husband have no clue about any of it. They will be staying with us in our home and I guess they'll get to see me come and go for work and then on the Saturday and Sunday I'm off.

Sorry, but I'm just really upset right now. They all deserve better than this and I can't offer them anything. The corporation in which I'm a contractor for believes my presence at the office is more important than this once in a lifetime opportunity for my family. I'll resent them until I find another opportunity elsewhere. And my exit will be deservingly epic.

There's much more important things in life. Despite that, I'm a hard worker and know the importance of doing a good job. But this is just over the top. I have the funds to live life without work for a while but walking out with no guarantees in the future, with a mortgage and other financial responsibilities would be irresponsible.

It's so angering, saddening and depressing and I hate feeling this helpless. That's the worst part.

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm just not sure how that would work out in the end since they know I wanted the time off prior to catching the worst case of the flu, ever.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It would be irresponsible for you to go to work with your contagious illness that week. I highly recommend you stay home. *cough* *cough*

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man, that really sux for you and your family.
I'm angry that I have to work this weekend when the grandkids come for Easter, but that's nothing compared to your situation.

bcox

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
come over to my house and hang out for a little bit, we had a stomach bug go around about a week ago and I'm sure there are still some germs hanging around.

Then you can call in sick for real ;)

Last edited:

HiImSeth

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got it! Get our teammate (the doc) to write you a 'Doctors note' stating that you are ill, contagious and should not be around others. If they ask why your note is from an OB-GYN, just tell them that your personal life is none of their business.

Maybe.

Or not.

okiemaggie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You're a contractor not an employee. If your job can be handled off site, on a keyboard, them tell them you will be available off-site. They don't own you as they do an employee. Also go up the chain of command, especially your boss' boss. The further up the exec ladder you go, usually the more understanding you will get when you explain why you need the time.

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You're a contractor not an employee. If your job can be handled off site, on a keyboard, them tell them you will be available off-site. They don't own you as they do an employee. Also go up the chain of command, especially your boss' boss. The further up the exec ladder you go, usually the more understanding you will get when you explain why you need the time.

Yeah, I will definitely need to go that route, I believe.

Latest posts

Top Bottom