Favorite war movies

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How did the failure at Malta by fdr and Churchill to adequately account for Stalin’s ambitions play into the final end of the war. Did it lengthen it or shorten it?

I wouldn't call it a failure on FDR or Churchill, it was basically at the time the Axis forces had Malta in a bottleneck. Being positioned in the Mediterranean Sea, that island was surrounded by the Axis. The sheer fact that Britain was able keep control of it (or what was left of it) throughout the war is no small feat. If anything Hitler and Stalin underestimated the resolve of the British to keep control of that island. In hindsight Stalin should have made Hitler make the island a priority instead of having Rommel pull forces away in 1941 when they almost had the island.

The fact that Malta was held by the Allies paved the way to destroy supply lines to North Africa and force Rommel to pull back to shorten the supply lines, giving Allied forces area to seize control and push Axis forces further back.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One that I forgot, but then, it's a little known film.

Go for Broke (Story of 442nd Regimental Combat Team, made up of soldiers of Japanese ancestry. Starred Van Johnson as their commanding officer, who initially didn't like being assigned to the 442. The 442nd racked up a lot of medals in their short history. Over 18,000 individual medals.)

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There was something really special about Saving Private Ryan. A lot of WW2 vets who had never talked about the war suddenly opened up about it, just a little bit. I had never heard my father talk much about the war, but after that movie he opened up about some of the experiences he'd had in the Phillipine Sea, Iwo Jima, Okinawa and Japan itself as the war was ending. A couple of other vets I knew opened up some too. Not much, but a 100 times more than ever before.

Engineman1960

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All-time favorite -- Technically not a war movie -- but what can happen when the wars over and you go home.

The Best Years of our Lives

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0036868/

Teresa Wright (Peggy Stephenson -- the daughter) her last movie was “The Rainmaker” (excellent book and movie) she played Miss Birdie; the landlady where Matt Damon character rented.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK. Now I have to apologize in advance.

However, it wasn't such a bad scenario.

I just ran across a second account of Japanese attacks on the American mainland, in this case, it being upon Canada and Oregon. At the end of this one, they are referencing a third video regarding an aerial attack made by a float plane. I'll have to see if I can find that one, although I'm not sure that it has been produced yet.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I took art class in the 7th & 9th grade (junior high, '70-ish) and had the same art teacher (Mr. Savage), a really nice guy.

He had a collection of reel-to-reel WWII Navy war footage (8mm I think?) and he'd show them in class a few times per year. I mostly remember the bomb hits and Kamikaze plane attacks on our vessels.

Parents nowadays don't want their kids watching "Roadrunner" because of the cartoon violence. They'd go ballistic if their little darlings saw the things we did back then.

I won't even go into the gory Driver's Ed films we were shown...
:drunk2:

Latest posts

Top Bottom