Female wants a .22

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonDough

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a SR22 Ruger for my wife a few months ago. Long Story Long…(lol) We are really pleased with it.

My wife has always been scared of guns…not comfortable around them at all. I’ve always been around guns…have always had them and they are a big hobby for me. She shot a couple of mine a few times, but wasn’t comfortable at all with anything but the rimfire stuff. She Sure didn’t like the “carry caliber” guns…the recoil and all that just made her cringe, which was a side effect of being scared of them in the first place.

Well through a couple of years of gentle teaching and slowly letting her get used to firearms at her own pace and letting her shoot the .22’s and letting her get comfortable with them, she is now an enthusiast!! : ) She loves going to the range, looks forward to gun shows and all that! She still doesn’t “like” the bigger guns, but she’s coming around to even that now, getting more curious about shooting the 380 and 9mm stuff…so she’s coming along. She even wants more guns of "her own" lol. : )

We bought the sr22 because she even wants to get her carry license now…and still isn’t quite comfortable enough to practice with the bigger ones enough to feel good with them. The SR22 fit the bill for a rimfire gun and she wanted “her own” gun. She was torn between the walther p22 and the ruger, and after handling both, the ruger won out. (As a note…I really like the gun too..I enjoy shooting it and i'll buy another one for me to shoot with...i even carry hers in my pocket every once in a while!!)

The key is WORK WITH HER....don't FORCE her to shoot something that she's not ready for. Whatever gun she chooses, if it's a rimfire, shoot the hell out of it and go throught different ammo's and find out what it likes and what is most reliable. If it's a semi auto...make sure she knows and is confortable with racking the slide to get rid of a "dud" round, cause it happens! Don't waste time on "second strike" trigger pulls....just shuck it and get another round in there. (My wife is DAMN good at it....if i tell her wait, because i want to See what was wrong, that round is already on the floor and she's firing the next one...LOL) Just get HER comfortable with shooting, be patient and don't push. MAKING women do anything is like trying to push a rope......and if she's going to carry, she's GOT to be comfortable with it.

And as far as .22 naysayers go....... Granted...it's NOT the perfect carry cartridge...BUT......

You start shooting somone in the face with a .22 and they're gunna stop doing what they are doing. : )

Phadrian

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sig Sauer Moquito I understand the appeal it feels good in my small hands. So it must feel good for a woman if she has smaller hands. I have to agree with the others though the reliability is just average at best. I wish it was better I'd like it much more if it could be more reliable.

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've split prairie dogs in half with Stingers from a pistol @ 20 yards.

You're crazy if you think a rock is better than the "lowly" 40grain .22 @ 1000+ fps.

Yourshoesareuntied

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
When it comes to training my wife how to shoot, I do a little... but I find its better for her to go to a class or have a private training session with any appropriate person other then myself. I found my expectations are too high and I don't want to suck the fun out of her shooting experience. Don't suck the fun out of buying a first gun, if she likes it the 22.. it won't be her first and last gun it will be the appetizer that gets her foot in the door.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've split prairie dogs in half with Stingers from a pistol @ 20 yards.

You're crazy if you think a rock is better than the "lowly" 40grain .22 @ 1000+ fps.

I don't think I've ever seen a prairie dog at 20 yds, unless he was already dead. You're sneaky.

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever seen a prairie dog at 20 yds, unless he was already dead. You're sneaky.

It was a prairie dog village so dense that I've actually shot them closer than that...I was just impressed with what a .22 from a pistol does to one out to 60ft...

Anyone that doesn't respect the .22 hasn't actually shot tissue/flesh with one.

Latest posts

Top Bottom