Female wants a .22

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love the Ruger Mark I/II/III/whichever, but they'd definately be a purse gun - and heavy at that.

The new SR22 (if you can find one) is very light, nice and small, has a small grip for small hands, and has a larger replacement for larger hands if necessary. Would fit easily in a purse, and would conceal nicely in a holster. I've only got to put one mag through mine, but it seems very accurate for no bigger than it is. Recoil was typical .22 - negligible. My 10 and 7 year old love it.

B

Bill Mac

Good luck in getting your hands on one of these! I have my name on any lists that I run across and stop in at every new gun shop that I run across. I've come to the conclusion that we have to move to FL down the road from the KelTec plant and follow the truck to its first stop! I actually hope to get my wife into a Ruger SP101 in .327 Federal Magnum one of these days when I get a good paying job again.

electriccowboy

Marksman
Reaction score
I have a ruger sr22. you can find them at H&H.
This model has problems with low pressure rounds not cycling the slide back far enough to pick up the next round. It ends up with a click instead of a bang. Do not get me wrong. Its a nice gun and works well most of the time, but as for 22 ammo it is pron to have some low pressure rounds in every batch made. I have shot Remington, Winchester, federal, and cci in balk ammo and cci mini mag. all ammo so far show the same.
My ruger mark III has no problem at all with any ammo. If all I could handle was a 22 (recoil wise) then I would carry my mark III simply because It is more reliable and goes bang every time.

My belief is with any new shooter (Does not matter weather they are male or female) They are going to be recoil sensitive.
a way to help lessen recoil is shot full size hand guns and not sub compacts or smaller. The added weight of the full size helps lessen the feel of recoil. As the new shooter shoots more then they become less recoil sensitive and can step up to smaller pistol's

check this out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWNR...DvjVQa1PpcFPRWdwBSOu7ZCFJhSesMdhMewmvysQno44=

Last edited:

furlong222

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
going to vote for the 22mag....have seen serious damage done by this calber....the pistols are pricey but they are quick to re-sell if you change your mind....as another poster suggested...1 hp-1solid in rotation

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a 9 shot 22 mag revolver that would make a good self defense weapon for a woman who won't shoot anything with more recoil. They aren't super easy to find, though.

fallingrock

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
She should shoot whatever she is comfortable with and can hit with. I rather see her hit someone with a 22 than miss them with a 10mm. I'd look into that class Probusiness mentioned. Might be the best 90 bucks you ever spent. Also thought I'd recommend some of the fullsize 380's like a beretta or bersa or something. They aren't bad at all.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a female friend that insists on getting a pink Sig Saur Mosquito for defence carry. The only reason she likes it is because when she shot one there wasn'r any recoil. I let her shoot my .40 EMP and she said no way. It is my opinion she would be better off throwing rocks than using a .22 for self defence. Or should she get one if it makes her fell better. I think she would be better throwing rocks. What do the guys and gals think??

Wifey took Dan's course listed in this thread. She shot several, 10 or 11 different guns and learned more than I could teach her about being comfortable with each one and each kind. It was way more than just worth while, she came away confident and having a very good understanding of what she wanted to carry and why. Highly recommend it. If she might like to talk to Wifey, pm me and we will get them in contact with each other.

jduff8505

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think the house commander would benefit greatly from that course. She is like a sponge with this stuff, and she is a newcomer to firearms. I have taught her the good safety practices and loading and unloading, but have a hard time critiqueing her technique since I am somewhat of a novice myself. BTW she has shot her SW9VE, my 1911 and her .38 hammerless Airweight and prefers to CC her .38. So it is definately whatever the lady prefers, maybe once she is comfortable with the .22lr she will be ready to move up. And yes you are going to slow down a perpetrator when you unload a .22 pistol into them. Shouldn't be making any long distance shots, if they are that far away they are not an imminent threat yet. I taught Melanie to pull the perp in close to her and unload all 5 HPs into them.

Jeff

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Get her a .22 but stay away from that Sig Mosquito.

Instead buy a Bersa Thunder 22, or a Beretta Model 87,,,
Or any other .22 handgun that has a centerfire counterpart.

That way if she ever decides to move up to a centerfire,,,
There is an identical handgun just waiting for her.

For instance Bersa Thunder .22 and Bersa Thunder 380,,,
Beretta Model 87 and the Model 84 or 85 in .380,,,
Ruger LCR in .22 and LCR in .38 Special.

Just an option for you to consider.

Aarond

fallingrock

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know this thread is getting a little old, but I thought about it when reading the following http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/06/foghorn/ask-foghorn-22l-for-self-defense/

At least I thought it made for some interesting reading. I'm not about to switch to my Ruger MkII for defensive duties or anything like that. However, knowing my ability with the MkII I could say with almost absolute certainty that I would hit a bad guy with all 10 pulls of the trigger. Just made me thank that the lady should stick with a .22 for now and shoot the hell out of it for practice. A bulk pack a month and she ought to be pretty dang sufficient. I mean I wouldn't wanna piss her off!

Latest posts

Top Bottom