Finding a good long range scope without breaking the bank

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
In the next week or so I will be purchasing a Savage .308 PT-SR from Academy I have decided that it is the gun for me. And the first long range bolt gun to be added to my collection. Took me the past 3 months to pick it out and find it, now I need to find glass for it. I don't want to go cheap, but my budget isn't too forgiving and I have to keep it under $300. $320 is about max I want to stretch. I would like to keep it mid $200's honestly. The rifle will be used a lot at the range and hopefully out to 500yds or however far I can lob a round, however I would like to take it out hunting, esp for hogs.

My experience with scopes is slim to none, aside from the ol EOtechs and other sights we had in the Marine corps. I recently purchased a Nikon p223 3x9 bdc600 for my AR varmit/plinking rifle, will be sighting it in this weekend at Canadian valley. So aside from the specs found on the scopes I know next to nothing. I have seen a Burris 4.5x14 42ish mm scope that caught my eye, as well as a vortex for $271, don't remember the model or specs.

What would be a good couple of scopes or brands to look at? What kind of magnification should I look for? Any other tips?

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is a good one that is in your price range: http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-10x42-Tactical-Riflescope-P53712.aspx

While it's not variable power, it at least has pretty decent glass, good tracking turrets, and matching reticle and turrets, which are some of the most important things to have for a long range precision scope. Obviously you're going to have to give something up with that limited of a budget, and to me, variable power takes a back seat to those other considerations for the LRP role.

Now I have to say that while this scope would be great for the target range, a fixed 10x would not be ideal for hunting. I guess it might come down to how much hunting you think you will actually be doing. If hunting is a major part of your planned use for the rifle, you might be better off with something like a Leupold VXII 3-9x40 with a mil dot reticle. It won't have the nice target turrets, and your click values won't match your reticle units, but it will have good glass, a reticle that is useful for long range, and the ability to adjust down to lower magnification for hunting, where most shots are made from pretty close range.

crazyfish

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have a burris fullfield 2 4.5-14x42. I would let it go for $200. Put it on a rifle couple of years ago and used it for an elk hunt. Took it off and it's been in the safe since then.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is a good one that is in your price range: http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-10x42-Tactical-Riflescope-P53712.aspx

While it's not variable power, it at least has pretty decent glass, good tracking turrets, and matching reticle and turrets, which are some of the most important things to have for a long range precision scope. Obviously you're going to have to give something up with that limited of a budget, and to me, variable power takes a back seat to those other considerations for the LRP role.

Now I have to say that while this scope would be great for the target range, a fixed 10x would not be ideal for hunting. I guess it might come down to how much hunting you think you will actually be doing. If hunting is a major part of your planned use for the rifle, you might be better off with something like a Leupold VXII 3-9x40 with a mil dot reticle. It won't have the nice target turrets, and your click values won't match your reticle units, but it will have good glass, a reticle that is useful for long range, and the ability to adjust down to lower magnification for hunting, where most shots are made from pretty close range.

Awesome, thank you. I've been hearing great things about SWFA, I wanna get my hands on one.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I want to be able to go after hogs, but also shoot long, as in 500+ yards.

For hog hunting I would recommend going with Nikon or Burris: both have good zoom range and covered knobs, lifetime warranty; Nikon has side focus and better knob under cover; Burris has better reticle and handier zoom adjustment (the whole ocular turns - no fiddling with the ring). Can't go wrong with either one.

For precision work SWFA has excellent knobs and focus adjustment, but the glass is mediocre.

The only one I don't own as we speak is the Weaver Tactical - but I am ordering it for my stalking rifle.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
For hog hunting I would recommend going with Nikon or Burris: both have good zoom range and covered knobs, lifetime warranty; Nikon has side focus and better knob under cover; Burris has better reticle and handier zoom adjustment (the whole ocular turns - no fiddling with the ring). Can't go wrong with either one.

For precision work SWFA has excellent knobs and focus adjustment, but the glass is mediocre.

The only one I don't own as we speak is the Weaver Tactical - but I am ordering it for my stalking rifle.

I'm a pretty big fan of the Nikon p223 3x9 with the bdc600 reticule on it, recently got it, and it's pretty awesome in my uneducated, inexperienced opinion. I'm still learning to use it. Another brand I was looking at is redfield. I imagine they are good, as they are owned and backed by leupold. Any experience with them?

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got the 3-10x40 Weaver Tactical today. So far I like it a lot - the size, the knobs, weight ... made in Japan.
If it tracks as it should and doesn't do anything "odd" in the field - it most certainly will replace my Elite 10x40s as "go-to" scope*: variable zoom is just a HUGE plus.

* (however, adjustable non-FFP mil-dot scopes just seem to ask for eventual operator error, fixed scopes are very much KISS)

Latest posts

Top Bottom