First encounter with an OCer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okiebryan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I finally had my first OC encounter today. On my way to an overtime assignment I stopped at OnCue to get something to drink. As I'm putting my lid on my drink one of the indigenous fauna came up to inform that he too can open carry. I look down and "yep". He has his baby Glock all tucked up in his high speed, low drag Blackhawk Serpa holster. My reply was "Why, yes you can. Let's see your permit and a photo ID." He looks at me oddly but complies. I look everything over, hand it back to him and told him to have a nice day.

BB wants to know what kind of neglect this poor man suffered at his parents' hands that he thought he needed to point this out to me. As I have originally thought all along I kind of doubt this has much to do about self defense but a lot to do with showing how "cool" one is for a lot of folks.

While I would not have approached a police officer like this guy did, pointing out that I'm OCing, I'm glad that he didn't do so in a way that came across as threatening. I salute you for the way that you handled it. I'm not going to try to assume what his psychological reasons were for pointing himself out like he did, I'm glad that you recognized that he wasn't doing anything illegal.

Thanks for sharing this with us.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't see any difference between a OCer excitedly discussing OC with a LEO here on this forum in writing ....versus in person... unless it is the fact that a civilian OCing makes some LEO's nervous. Just because they don't do or act like some of you would do in a similar situation isn't justification for degrading or berating them. It is interesting to me that the LEO's [local police, County Sheriff's & OHP] who work in the rural areas [even in larger cities like Lawton, Ardmore, Enid and so on] aren't making demands for open carriers to show their license & State issued ID for having started up a conversation with them just because the OC'er is excited at having a new priviledge / right. Maybe working in a rural area they have learned to 'read' & deal with people differently.I guess I should give a little credit to a Bethany officer & several OKC police officers I encountered last week. I was in the OKC metro area and OCing. I got out of my vehicle next to a Bethany officer who was sitting in his patrol vehicle near the curb running radar on the traffic. He happened to look my way as I adjusted my holster after having gotten out of my vehicle-- I had moved the holster from its normal position because of the seat belt. I waved and he smiled, waved, and went back to his radar. I was in & out of a number of places all day long in the metro area. Several uniformed OKC officers just glanced at my weapon and went on their way without missing a step. Seems there are a number of LEO's that don't feel it necessary to make someone pony-up their license just because they are OCing or are excited about the new law and want to talk to or ask them questions about it.

How does the cop or the general public know that the person OC'ing isn't some kinda nut job unless you're wearing your weapons permit on a lanyard and you have your concealed carry badge on a neck chain? You are assuming a lot. My first impression would be, caution, potential nut case ahead. If you didn't start acting more squirelly or doing wierd stuff then my impression might change.

okiebryan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
LOL, do you have any idea how many times a day I hear about this? (Like every single time we leave the house......) Funny thing is it's not like BB is doing any open carry. She just likes to rag on me.........women........Can't live with them, can't shoot them.......Am I right?)

Ok, this made me LOL... Looking forward to meeting you two sometime.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't see any difference between a OCer excitedly discussing OC with a LEO here on this forum in writing ....versus in person... unless it is the fact that a civilian OCing makes some LEO's nervous. Just because they don't do or act like some of you would do in a similar situation isn't justification for degrading or berating them.

Did GC ever say he was nervous? Again, you don't know the fella and "nervous" is not a word I'd use to describe him. I also don't see anything degrading or berating in his response. I do see a whole lot of comments worthy of degrading or berating in your response however..

Some overly excited OC'er felt the need to randomly identify himself to a uniformed officer and in exchange he got a polite and professional check of his license.

Responsible OC, to me at least, means going about your business in a quiet and discrete fashion....not self-identifying and calling attention to yourself every time you see a guy with a badge.

Lightsluvr

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i am probably going to p1ss a few people off here but... I cannot stand these guys who took one government class at the local community college and think they are lawyers now. They go around harassing cops because they have nothing better to do than be a d1ck. The same people that in this situation would have pulled the " i don't have to do that, why do you need my id? Am i being detained? I know my rights" instead of simply just handing it over and being on your way. There are going to be officers who abuse their power, we have all dealt with them but if you have nothing to hide, why not just be cooperative. If the officer was exhibiting misconduct... Get his badge number and call his supervisor... Simple as that..
Just my 2 cents worth.
Police officers are here for us not against us, rather you like them or not is your business, but you should always respect them.

ditto

indi

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not an LEO, if I was in GC shoes, I would have asked for an ID/ permit too. I saw my first OCer today at the Claremore Walmart, in a shoulder rig. Actually seen 1 1/2 OCers. One guy had an empty holster, but that wasent at Walmart.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well David I'm curious about something....Why are you around police so much? Are you in trouble? Trying to get a reaction (known as baiting)? Heck you see more cops in a day than I do...
He's a leo wanna be, former.prison guard.who couldnt get hired on a police department because he's 5'7" 350lb DA.

Quick_Draw_McGraw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Call me simple, but I carry for ONE reason. My own protection.

It's not for my amusement, nor the amusement of others. If I thought OC had a tactical advantage I would open carry. More power to anyone who thinks it has tactical advantages.

To have motivation to carry for ANY OTHER REASON makes me want to question someone's decision making skills, and if I question your decision making skills, the last thing I want to do is see you use a gun as a conversation starter with strangers.

Latest posts

Top Bottom