First motorcycle?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EhlerDave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will pass along a bit of advice I got at age 11, from a relative with one leg, yes he lost it on a bike. Ride as if every car/truck on the road is out to kill you. It will keep you going longer.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Really! do we need to visualize this ****? I can't imagine what's wrong with this PRICK!

I have found, both from first hand experience and through other people, that when you have certain jobs, esp ones where you have to deal with terrible things, you develop a sense of humor that is macabre and really hard to swallow. It's best taken with a grain of three of salt.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
To be honest with you I would stay from 500cc to a max of 750cc for a first bike. My 1st street bike was the fastest production 750 of it's time. But.... I learned to ride on the dirt so I already had my wrecks out of my system. I've never had to lay a street bike down but I've had a lot of close calls. For learning it's very important not to buy too much bike, but it's also just as important not to buy too little bike. You want enough power to be able to get yourself out of trouble but it's really easy to get INTO trouble with too much. Also the weight and handling is a lot easier and just generally more fun in traffic on a 400b bike vs. a 900b bike, it's a huge difference. Too bad Buell isn't around anymore because a Buell Blast was the perfect 1st street bike and they were literally a blast to ride.

Something like this is a close second.

What you are saying is honestly following a lot along the same lines of my thought process shadowrider. I want to get something that I can learn on, yet have fun with and be able to get myself out of trouble. I don't want to buy a bike after my Safety course that I become bored with after the first month. I would like to pick up something used that I can lay down without wanting to cry and be able to enjoy and learn on as I save up for something that I will have decided on based upon my experiences.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
One thing to think about with the "ridiculously cheap" 600cc street bikes is that a lot of those have been rode hard and put up wet, so to speak. That's not to say you won't find the same in the cruisers, but it's definitely more common in the street bikes.

A suggestion that I would make is that you take the rider's safety course before you even consider buying anything. When I took mine, there was another guy in the class just like me. He had never ridden before, was in his 30's (at the time) and had ALWAYS wanted to own a bike. I talked with him at the end of the first day of the class and he said he wasn't coming back the next day. I asked why and he said that he had just saved himself a bunch of money because he found out that he really didn't care for riding as much as he had thought. He hadn't had any issues with the class, didn't drop the bike or anything like that. He just realized that riding wasn't for him.

That being said, I'd definitely look at spending less than $5-8K for your first bike. It will really hurt when you drop that $5-8k on the pavement and scratch it all up. It doesn't hurt quite as much when it's only around $2k or so. Just a thought.

Wise words, and something I haven't considered with the guy in the safety class. That is something I will have to seriously think about. Also, I don't think I want to buy a nice bike for my 1st, as it is my first and I will probably lay it down or drop it. My roommate and I are considering going in together on a sub $2.5-3k bike to learn on, and then go from there. After I get comfortable with it and learn a few lessons, possibly the hard way, I feel that it would then be a good idea to spend a little more and get a 7-10k bike.

Latest posts

Top Bottom