First motorcycle?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Probably already been said, but I think any new rider should find an old dirt bike of some sort under 250cc to cruise around the yard or backroads and get comfortable with the balance and using the clutch and brakes. You dang sure dont want to whiskey throttle or panic rev on a new or big bike!
That was exactly my advice.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
That was exactly my advice.

Now, with this in mind..... Say I get a modest dirt bike..... Good good with it, no problems and such... Would it be a wise decision to hop up to a 600 or 750cc sport bike or maybe a Harley sportster? Or should I go for a more gradual jump before I get into something like that?

thaHooligan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My first brand new bike was a 2002 GSXR 1000. For me it wasnt a problem, but I always had a dirt bike or motorcycle of some sort growing up. Personally I wouldnt have been able to afford buying a small one and then moving up to a bigger one. Im sure it would be a good idea if possible, but I guess its just up to you depending on what you want. Also depends on if you want a cruiser/harley or a crotch rocket. I have a harley now, but I still miss having the gixxer. I think if you get familir and comfortable riding a motorcycle/dirt bike, you should be able to adapt to riding any motorcycle you want. Just gotta get the experience under your belt.

kennedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have this we are wanting to sell. Honda 250 cc Rebel with a bobber conversion. This is what my son learned on and is fun to ride.
20140711_184001-1.jpg

Esoog

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Will have to say nothing is wrong with the lower cc pure street bikes, but that is all they are, just street bikes. As other have suggested, an enduro/trail bike is great to learn on. Great place to learn throttle/clutch/brake control is on dirt/gravel, an old back road or trails. If you lay the bike over, normally it isn't that bad and a lot easier pick it back up. You will get experience with riding/stopping on unstable surfaces, learn when not enough or too much brake is needed. Might make you pucker up just a little less the first time you hit a grooved street/highway Once you feel you are ready to step up to a bigger bike, then you can get the street bike you want. At the same time, if you can keep the enduro, then you can continue to play in the dirt.

I highly suggest the motorcycle safety course. I was lucky enough to grow up with motorcycles and 3-wheelers and got my mc license at 14. Would have not changed it for the world. Started spending money on trucks and such after turning 16 and failed to get another cycle until I was 27. Totally forgot what I had been missing. Now on my second cycle after having my super glide for 13 yr's and 2 years into the street glide. With all that said, I do miss being able to go trail riding but can't justify to the wife on getting a trail bike. If I would have happen to already have the trail bike, might be able to swing the addition of a street bike. Could sell it as I was buying it so we could ride 2 up... just for her. :)

Know that was kinda long, but hope it helps! Keep the rubber side down!

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Like you, I bought a street bike without ever owning or even riding anything else first.

First, take the course. I didn't. I will if I ever get another bike.

Second, unless you're 14, I wouldn't start on a 250 street bike. You'll outgrow it in a week. I bought a 750 V-Twin and still out grew it in a year. Unless you really like the cruiser style, I'd get something in the street sport / standard class.

If I were starting now, I'd love to start on something like this:
2009 Kawasaki 650 Versys
http://tulsa.craigslist.org/mcy/4948342865.html
It's a dual sport kinda bike, can take some rougher roads but still be good on the highway.

2008 Kawasaki Ninja 500
http://tulsa.craigslist.org/mcd/4945974347.html
"Sport" bike, but tamer than the 600 & 1000 full on rockets.

2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
http://tulsa.craigslist.org/mcy/4951006039.html
Cruiser

And I just realized I linked all Kawasakis. Hmmm...

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was in a motorcycle gang at 15 lol.

At 15 yrs old you could have a 50CC motorcycle to get back and forth to school. About a dozen of us rode all over the place on those speedsters thinking we were the Ponca City gang. Lots of fun times on those cycles.

Later on ended up with an RD250 Yamaha twin cylinder two stroke. Incredibly fast. Traded it for a Honda 450 that was ridden all over Kansas while stationed at Ft Leavenworth.

Bought a 75 Gold Wing and started road riding. Rode it until 82. Had to lay it down twice in two months because a car pulled out in front of me after 60,000 miles on that bike.

Something told me it was time to get off the streets, so it was sold.

Got into something safer like racing three wheelers. Finally in 86 the gubberment shut it all down. Sold everything.

About 2008, found a wrecked Honda 250SX three wheeler at a farm auction. Bought it for nothing and restored it back to factory new condition. Still ride it at Little Sahara on occasion, and use it during hunting seasons. Fun ride.

Got into the drag bike thing for awhile racing a Suzuki 750 two stroke water buffalo in 76. Fastest factory machine in its day. Just never felt that machine was designed for the speeds it could run with out major frame modifications. Sounded bad a$$ though.

Last edited:

Rains

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would recommend learining on a Kawasaki H2 Triple.....I kid, I kid.

If you have a place to ride, I ditto the others and would recommend starting with a 125/250cc 2 stroke dirt bike. You can find them very cheap and you can learn a lot ripping around on dirt bikes. I've seen way too many people buy their very first fullsize bike then total it a week later because they have no idea what they are doing.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was in a motorcycle gang at 15 lol.

At 15 yrs old you could have a 50CC motorcycle to get back and forth to school. About a dozen of us rode all over the place on those speedsters thinking we were the Ponca City gang. Lots of fun times on those cycles.

Me too, lol. We could have 100cc when I was 14 and got my license. All of us in my neighborhood had Yamaha 100 Enduros and we all rode together to school and stuff. Loved that bike, it was my come up from my lil 80, my first was a trail 50 and my last in highschool was a Suzuki 250. My dad had tons of bikes as we grew up for us to ride. One of the kids in our group even went on later to ride factory motocross as a pro. After highschool I had a few Sportys but after a bad wreck at 25 I hung it up for awhile. My left arm is still a little crooked from that wreck after breaking all the bones in my left arm and a few in my leg. When my dad passed away me and my brothers split up his all his bikes and cars and I have a few that Ive kept that I have put up in the shed in CA- couple Harleys and an Indian. Gonna get back on one on the street some day when the ol lady chills out on me not getting back on one. We have snowmobiles up at my place on the mountain in CA but here in OK we have dirt bikes and ATVs for the kids to ride down at the farm so Ive at least had stuff to ride over the years. Im still a big kid tho when it comes to dirt bikes, love em.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Love riding the dirt. I live along the Arkansas river, so I can get down on the sand bars with the ATV and blast around with the paddle tires.

Got stuck in some quick sand Saturday, but its not too hard to get out.

Saw an eagle nest when I was running down the sand. Big mature male was on the nest when I rode up. He was flying around screeching at me while taking the pic. Left in about 20 seconds so I didn't bother him too much. Nest was about 5' in diameter.

tapatalk.imageshack.com_v2_15_03_26_c820299ba35a76ba62a47ea2169d6f04.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom