First squirrel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I thought the idea of squirrel hunting called for "barking the squirrel?" In other words, aiming at the tree to throw bark/splinters at the squirrel.

The reason I ask is because we didn't have squirrels up in the Panhandle when I was growing up.
We can't be damaging trees in this day and age of wokeness while in the middle of a climate crisis.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My great grandparents would be mad if you shot them in the head. That was good eating.
I didn't hunt a lot of squirrels, but my Grandmother always asked for a couple during the season when she was alive. She loved the brains. I can't imagine there was that much in that little skull to eat, but I'd shoot, skin and leave it with her.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I only remember going kind of squirrel hunting one time. I was about eight or nine and I think my mom forced my dad to take me with him deer hunting.

When we got about halfway to his tree he pointed out a tree for me to climb up in with my Crossman pellet gun.

I asked him what I was supposed to do with a pellet gun if a deer showed up and he said just shoot at the squirrels.

I don't remember even seeing any squirrels that day.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The brains were the only part my dad liked. Fried squirrel brains and eggs. He would give the rest of the carcass to my aunt.
Chicken gizzards is my weakness. It's my favorite part of the chicken. I can eat the rest but the gizzard is what I'd rather have.

I can remember going fishing with my grandpa and he had bought a package of gizzards. I figured we was going to have them for supper but it was for fish bait. I just couldn't understand why he would waste perfectly good gizzards.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Chicken gizzards is my weakness. It's my favorite part of the chicken. I can eat the rest but the gizzard is what I'd rather have.

I can remember going fishing with my grandpa and he had bought a package of gizzards. I figured we was going to have them for supper but it was for fish bait. I just couldn't understand why he would waste perfectly good gizzards.
I like fried chicken livers with gravy. A lot!

I never could eat the gizzards.

Latest posts

Top Bottom